• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root 1-Click Root

Ok. Question. I'm not a newbie to Android, but I've never rooted. I'm tempted to root with this one click method as it sounds like super user access for dummies.

Here's question: Does it pay for me to do so, if I don't care to tether? Should I wait for Froyo.

Be nice to me. Remember: I have the light saber. ;)

Steven,

I rooted my Eris back in May and have been very happy with it. My main motivation was to be able to have wi-fi tethering in my back pocket in case I ever needed it (I haven't yet). Overclocking is nice, but the phone was already fast enough for me. Apps2sd wasn't needed since Ivan's ROM had plenty of space.

Fast-foward to July 15: bam! got the Droid X and love it (still love and have my Eris). Haven't rooted it (yet).

Here's my reasoning:

1. The Droid X is already very fast and will be faster with Froyo: no need to overclock (not really sure anyone will need to (gamers, maybe?))

2. Gigabytes of memory for applications, not MBs like the older phones: no need for apps2sd (Froyo will have it already baked-in)

3. Bloatware that exists on the phone isn't really hurting anything (at the moment); if I don't want it, I don't launch it; plus, the phone is fast enough and has enough memory they're harmless: no need to remove bloatware (other than to make me fell better)

4. There are some root-only apps that I'd like to have, but the ones that I use occasionally, like drocap2, have alternatives (SDK screen capture); I'm sure there are other root-only apps that are really cool, but I haven't really had a great need for them yet

5. Wi-fi tethering, would be nice to have, but I still could re-activate my Eris and use it; or I could just root when I need it (hopefully, this is still an option after Froyo is released). Or, one could actually activate/pay for it from VZW...:eek:

Just my two-cents...thanks for being a cool, phone-guide-dude! :D

Upvote 0
Steven,

I rooted my Eris back in May and have been very happy with it. My main motivation was to be able to have wi-fi tethering in my back pocket in case I ever needed it (I haven't yet). Overclocking is nice, but the phone was already fast enough for me. Apps2sd wasn't needed since Ivan's ROM had plenty of space.

Fast-foward to July 15: bam! got the Droid X and love it (still love and have my Eris). Haven't rooted it (yet).

Here's my reasoning:

1. The Droid X is already very fast and will be faster with Froyo: no need to overclock (not really sure anyone will need to (gamers, maybe?))

2. Gigabytes of memory for applications, not MBs like the older phones: no need for apps2sd (Froyo will have it already baked-in)

3. Bloatware that exists on the phone isn't really hurting anything (at the moment); if I don't want it, I don't launch it; plus, the phone is fast enough and has enough memory they're harmless: no need to remove bloatware (other than to make me fell better)

4. There are some root-only apps that I'd like to have, but the ones that I use occasionally, like drocap2, have alternatives (SDK screen capture); I'm sure there are other root-only apps that are really cool, but I haven't really had a great need for them yet

5. Wi-fi tethering, would be nice to have, but I still could re-activate my Eris and use it; or I could just root when I need it (hopefully, this is still an option after Froyo is released). Or, one could actually activate/pay for it from VZW...:eek:

Just my two-cents...thanks for being a cool, phone-guide-dude! :D

Thank you! I truly appreciate your help and encouragement! :)

Upvote 0
silly question... what is the point of rooting? What does it do?

I didn't see an answer so I will make an attempt. Most people do it for the free wifi tethering - you can use your phone as a wifi hot spot for no extra cost. Plus you can load rooted paid apps on your phone. Plus I think you can remove bloatware like cityid and blockbuster. Another benefit is the potential to load an android OS upgrade like putting Gingerbread/3.0 on before the official updates come out.

Upvote 0
I can't wait to see the results of this 1 button root. I suspect it will go something like this......

** User finds these directions **
Sweet!! I don't know what root is, but apparently I have to have it. One button - that's even easier than getting free money at the ATM machine.

** minutes later **
This will allow me to blindly delete every 3rd application I see right!

I can't wait!!!!!

** minutes later **
Hey, I seem to have a black screen, and the phone wants to keep rebooting.

Is this because I rooted???

** minutes later **
Hey, does some one have every 3rd application that I could have? Somehow they seemed to have gotten erased, and I don't have those files any more....

Could someone help a brother out here?????

** minutes later **
If I return the phone, will Verizon know that it was rooted???

I mean it doesn't work, so how could they???

** minutes later **
Droid sucks, I'm going back to my iPhone..... Peace out......

** sic0048 gets popcorn and reclines the chair **

I can't wait......really.....

Upvote 0
i didnt read all of the posts in this thread before typing this so i HOPE that im not repeating something thats already been said, but after I rooted, i did have some trouble with Wifi not functioning in my house which i normally use for all of my mobile devices. Had to powercycle my wireless router, then it came right back up

Upvote 0
I can't wait to see the results of this 1 button root. I suspect it will go something like this......

** User finds these directions **
Sweet!! I don't know what root is, but apparently I have to have it. One button - that's even easier than getting free money at the ATM machine.

** minutes later **
This will allow me to blindly delete every 3rd application I see right!

I can't wait!!!!!

** minutes later **
Hey, I seem to have a black screen, and the phone wants to keep rebooting.

Is this because I rooted???

** minutes later **
Hey, does some one have every 3rd application that I could have? Somehow they seemed to have gotten erased, and I don't have those files any more....

Could someone help a brother out here?????

** minutes later **
If I return the phone, will Verizon know that it was rooted???

I mean it doesn't work, so how could they???

** minutes later **
Droid sucks, I'm going back to my iPhone..... Peace out......

** sic0048 gets popcorn and reclines the chair **

I can't wait......really.....

I'm new to Android OS, old to BB OS, really old to Linux, DOS, OS2, pcs in general and I still won't root. I love the idea, I did similar things with my 9530 to break free of Verizon, but even with all the knowledge I have of linux and working non-stop with basic command prompts under my belt I still don't want to root. I've only owned this phone for 13 days, and so have many others - only reason I post this, you made me laugh, and it is so true - unfortunately...

Upvote 0
i didnt read all of the posts in this thread before typing this so i HOPE that im not repeating something thats already been said, but after I rooted, i did have some trouble with Wifi not functioning in my house which i normally use for all of my mobile devices. Had to powercycle my wireless router, then it came right back up

same here....

Upvote 0
I don't like it. There's zero explanation of what's happening or what you should do. I prefer the hands on approach so I know exactly what I'm doing in case something goes wrong. I prefer using ADB and doing things the "hard" way.

Because you didn't follow my notes above. Some machines require the specific moto drivers from the *.msi driver file from moto's site.

Edit: AGAIN for those with ADD :) :) :)

http://androidforums.com/1242450-post11.html

Upvote 0
I'm confused, everyone says they are essentially doing this for the free wi-fi tethering right? I mean, launcherpro can hide the applications you don't want to see, and like someone said above you have plenty of on board memory.

This is what I don't get though. Why do it for the wi-fi tethering? Did you guys see the post in the Tips and Tricks about how you can tether through bluetooth to your computer for free and without rooting?

I'm all for root, I guess I just don't see the advantages for the X quite yet.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones