1 Day with my Droid - 1st Impressions and ?'s

Last Updated:

1. s1njin

s1njin Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Okay, I thought I'd post some impressions and questions. Some background - I'm a IT Manager by trade so I think its safe to say I 'get' technology. This is also my first smartphone that is not corporate issued (Blackberry). My only other experience of with a device of similar vain would be the iPod Touch I sold to fund my Droid purchase.

Observations:

1. I'm not sure why some are complaining about the speed of this unit - its plenty fast enough stock for my needs. The screen scrolling is not butter smooth like my iPod Touch was, but I'm okay with it. Its not like I'm waiting for it to do anything I'm asking it to.

2. You definitely have to 'Futz' with this. Anybody with a Windows or Linux background can understand what I mean (well, probably understands) - I'd imagine Mac users would be frustrated with this. Definitely not 'turn key' as I have found myself researching little bits here and there. Why did my Gmail stop autosyncing / clear out the data to fix it? Why was it so easy to link my phone to google voice and voicemail, but sorta hard to take the voicemail part away?

3. Once things start working - its one powerful device. I love making my own ring tones. I love having a GPS Nav w/ updated maps whenever I want it. The Apps I used on my Touch are avail for Droid. I still can't get over how I spoke the name of a store and the city it was in and how my Droid understood it and mapped me a route. Unbelievable.

4. DoubleTwist, Salling Media Sync - bah. Media Sync wants me to pay - DoubleTwist DOUBLED up my songs. I spent 20 minutes manually deleting the duplicates in the DoubleTwist application.

5. I paid to have my DRM music stripped via iTunes Plus. I don't think I'm going to buy music from iTunes anymore - Amazon mp3s will work just fine. I might use iTunes to FIND music, but I'm thinking I'll buy them from Amazon.

6. Stock music player worked fine for playback of MP3s.

7. BeyondPod seems to be the podcast player to beat for me - Google Listen was a bit convoluted - plus I'd rather easily download my podcasts rather than stream.

8. Google Voice for texting is awesome.

Now for my Questions:

A. How does one backup a Droid? Do I just copy the contents of my card over to another drive? Is that it?

B. Is there a screen lock / pwd app that I can use to give my Droid some security?

C. Google Voice was a bit flaky for me. Voicemail took awhile to dis-engage (I read some horror stories of 24 hour bills b/c GV wouldn't hang up - I have my voicemails going to Verizon now). GV also rang phones I specifically had disabled - and not routinely either. I just erased the phones that weren't supposed to ring - that solved it. Anybody else experience this?

D. I have no idea why my Google account stopped syncing. It was even turned 'off' in my settings - but it was definitely 'on' when I started. I know I didn't turn it off b/c I had to google my problem to even find out where the setting was to begin with.

I'm sure there is more, but I got so much info from this forum I wanted to give something back (and of course ask more questions).

S1njin

Advertisement
  2. shadowdude777

shadowdude777 Well-Known Member

A) What do you mean by "back up"? The contents of the MicroSD card can be copied, obviously. But if you want to make an "image" of the Droid on your SD card sort of like the computer equivalent of Norton Ghost, Acronis TrueImage, or Apple's Time Machine, you'll have to root your phone. To do that, go into the All About Root subforum and look in the thread about not fearing a brick. Download RSD Lite and the rooted 2.1 SBF file. Now download ROM Manager from the Market and use it to flash ClockworkMod recovery, which you can then use to make backups. You might also want to look into using a custom ROM like CyanogenMod or Bugless Beast, as well as root-only apps like drocap2, Titanium Backup, and Wireless Tether (that last one isn't available in the Market, Google the link for it).

B) Go into Settings, then Location and Security, and there's an option to set a "drawing-style" lock on the phone.

C) Google Voice was flaky for me before, but it's developed into a solid app and now it works perfectly for me.

D) I have never experienced that either.

3. mobrienjr

mobrienjr Well-Known Member

I would suggest getting a music app like Neo Music or Music Wizard...these allow you to search and download off the net.

Also get AstroManager, you can make a backup using that program and it will be stored on your SD card. Then if you go to another phone if anything happens to yours you can restore it.

I have sync turned off, and then turn it on when I want to check my emails. you can also go to go to GMail and then select refresh from the menu to sync it again.

4. Eugene

Eugene Well-Known Member

I didn't have to "futz" with mine, just plugged in my google account and installed a few apps every now and then.
    But then again I never have to fut with my linux box either, its been install and forget too.

5. s1njin

Admittedly my futzing was/is mostly w/ google voice.

6. Papadroid

Papadroid VIP Member VIP Member

I just got my droid yesterday. I came from an Eris, what a difference!!! I rooted it and loaded NexBeast and absolutely love it! I haven't had a lot of time to mess around with it yet but I've had no issues at all. The only thing I miss from my Eris is some of the HTC sense widgets. I definitely recommend rooting especially with the ability to do nandroid backups (image backups) and other apps that you have to be rooted for.

7. Lock-N-Load

Lock-N-Load Well-Known Member

"A. How does one backup a Droid? Do I just copy the contents of my card over to another drive? Is that it?"

My Backup Pro

8. s1njin

Wow, looks like Froyo will have this somewhat built in now.

9. Lock-N-Load

you could wait for who knows how long to get "Froyo" or backup today with My Backup Pro

personally, my data is to valuable to wait

10. shadowdude777

They announced the release of the source code for Froyo to devs (like Cyanogen!) at Google I/O, so expect ROMs with Froyo features sooner than later.

You could download an app like My Backup Pro while waiting who knows how long to get "Froyo" or root your phone and be first in line! :D

11. Lock-N-Load

not a big root fan. seems to confusing.. which rom, why, which additions, OTA updates break your root so you get to do it all over again (if I have that right).

I'll take the My Backup Pro today and not have to wait in line :)

12. gwlaw99

gwlaw99 Well-Known Member

1. For buttery smooth scrolling download Launcherpro beta from the app store. It adds a few nice things as well like up to 7 homescreens, pinching a homescreen brings up a small version of all screens that you can tap on to go to, it has a dock bar to put 4 extra apps at the bottom of the screen (apps are fixed right now but will be customizeable in future releases),
    2. Best way to backup is to root your phone (like jailbreaking). There is a program called Nandroid that comes with both recovery programs that backs up the entire ROM. There is another program called Titanium backup that backs up all your programs and data.

13. gwlaw99

gwlaw99 Well-Known Member

There are instructions on the root forum how to easily root (you just need to install SPR Recovery and flash a ROM). It was much easier with 2.01 when you just had to run a prorgram though. There are only 3-4 good ROMS and most are more or less the same. OTA updates are always turned off with custom ROMS and never break root.

14. shadowdude777

The actual process of rooting is one step: download the SBF file and flash it with RSD Lite. That gets you a custom recovery and root. From there you can run all root apps and do pretty much whatever you want including making Nandroid backups. Though you could spend another 15 minutes in getting ROM Manager from the Market and letting it download and flash CyanogenMod for you, which is my personal favorite ROM (some people prefer Bugless Beast...).

All of the custom ROMs block OTA updates. I've been rooted since we first got root access (I think in December?) and I've never had to redo anything. I just flash new ROMs when I want to. So essentially, you could do what I described above and then just sit tight until a 2.2-based ROM comes out and flash that with ROM Manager.

15. Psychokitty

Psychokitty Well-Known Member

Not really.
    Rooting is now easier than ever. What it does to the phone is complex, but actually doing it is very easy and practically idiot proof now.
    It's also safer to do than ever before, and the ROMs & overclocking have all withstood a more than adequate test of time proving them safe for the Droid. OTAs that were initially breaking root were easily repaired by the re-installation of the root update.zip file. It confused me at first because I thought it was supposed to be far more complex than it really was. It actually took about 30 seconds to "fix" my root. Now it's been built into the ROMs, I believe, so it should be a non-issue in the future.

There's really nothing to retain by not rooting your Droid (-except maybe simplicity and the limitations that come with it), and a long list of things to gain by doing it.

I would have to say that my biggest benefit from rooting is that my Droid is now over clocked to 1 GHz. Using the SetCpu app, it down-clocks to just 125 MHz when it's sleeping, and zips right on up to whatever speed it needs when I start using it.
    The benefit of this is that I can run Google Earth on my Droid as smooth as silk, yet get 30 hours of battery life from one charge.