1-piece silicone Moto Droid case found... sort of

Last Updated:

1. (G)

(G) Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I discovered over the weekend that the iPhone's dimensions are within millimeters of the Moto Droid's. So I went to Target and got 2 silicone iPhone cases for $15. They fit great.

They're not an exact fit, obviously, but the stretch in the silicone makes them fit tightly enough to be good.

And if you put them on upside down, the slot at the top lets you easily get at the on/off switch.

Advertisement
  2. jmt9779

jmt9779 Well-Known Member

Pics? Please :)

3. radikal

radikal Well-Known Member

seriously, can't say that you have something and not post pics :)

4. (G)

Hey! Give me time to get home, find a camera, and take the picture!

The 2-pack came with a black one and a white one. I put the white on on the Droid here so you could see exactly how it fits. Again, the cutouts don't match up, but it fits just great. The case goes high enough to protect most of the sides of the screen, and also prevents the keyboard from sliding open.

[​IMG]

5. kbayer

kbayer Well-Known Member

Can you still access the camera and volume buttons?

6. PhilosoRaptor

PhilosoRaptor Well-Known Member

I don't see why you couldn't press them through the silicone.

Though I can see you'll have to cut a couple holes or something to be able to charge it and use the headphone jack with the cover on it. Also, is the camera hole in the same spot on the back?

7. (G)

No, none of the holes line up, but I believe you could press the buttons through the silicone. The case fits snugly, but not so tight that you can't slip it off and on for charging.

I bought another one-piece silicone case specially made for the Droid and it sucked -- didn't cover the sides of the screen at all, and would literally fall off in my pocket.

So I'm happy with these at $7 each.

8. ccviivii

ccviivii Member

I was also looking for a one piece rubber skin. got my iPhone skins today at Walmart. not the same one as shown above and did require a little modifying to get to fit. the package came with two. so I did a rough draft cutting on the extra case. but it still didn't turn out too bad. this case also fit better upside down. thanks to everyone in this thread for this idea.

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. plvaulter06

plvaulter06 New Member

lol. I love the idea because i hate the physical keyboard. However i also have tried this and it is HORRIBLE. The iphone is much wider than the droid, so it doesn't work. I mean you can force i in there, but it is near worthless because it doesn't cover up the casing around the screen. That is the most easily damaged part of the phone

10. Mominator

Mominator Well-Known Member

I found that those kiosks in the malls that have cases for every conceivable phone now do have hard shell rubberized cases for the Droid. Maybe that would be a good solution?

11. (G)

From the Apple website: iPhone 3GS -- Height: 4.5", Width: 2.4", Depth: 0.48"

From several tech sites: Motorola Droid -- Height: 4.6", Width 2.4", Depth: 0.5"

However the rest of your post is true: the iPhone silicone case doesn't cover the frame around the screen.

12. square

square Well-Known Member

i just covered mine in duct tape.

13. plvaulter06

plvaulter06 New Member

Well, looks like i was wrong! I have own a droid, and have used to have an iPhone. I always thought that the iphone was wider.

The viewable screen width is 46.03mm for the Droid, and 51.42mm for the iPhone. The viewable screen is 11.7% wider on the iPhone than the Droid.

I realize that is irrelevant in finding a suitable case size.

14. sukanas

sukanas Well-Known Member

....are you serious

15. desmofan

desmofan Well-Known Member

But it's very relevant in explaining why I can type so much more accurately on my Wife's iPhone. The keypad is much better at using the screen real estate, or maybe there's just more real estate to use.

16. plvaulter06

plvaulter06 New Member

I agree, nothing comes close to my old iPhone in typing (currently using HTC_IME v25 and this is the best yet)

While the Droid's very high resolution screen is pretty cool, it is not very useful. Although it is capable of displaying super tiny text because of the high pixel density, you need a magnifying glass to see it. I would prefer a unit that was a bit bigger. Also video's and games don't look all that much better, but it requires way way more graphics processing power.

If i had it my way i would prefer an about 5" screen phone with NO side out keyboard! back to this tread! But since nothing like that is out yet. I will just keep looking for a 1 piece cover.

I want the Sprint Evo 4g for Verizon. (although i don't care about the 4g network, 3g is fine for me, just want the hardware)

17. desmofan

desmofan Well-Known Member

This is my only gripe with the Droid. I have the text size set as large as possible for browsing, news feeds, etc., but you cannot zoom or adjust text size for emails. At my advanced age, I need to have my reading glasses just to read emails.

18. sherywacker

sherywacker New Member

As such if we see than droid and iphone are almost similar , the screen on the Droid is a bit longer than the iPhone screen and the iPhone screen is little bit wider but still the cases fit quite good to each other. I always prefer to go with rubber skin cases and it was good to see the idea which was applied on the cases. I would love to try it on my case too.

19. DroidSuks

DroidSuks Well-Known Member

Looks like a blanket..... nice and warm.