10 attempts remain before device data is deletedTips

1. Rob

Rob I'm tellin' mommy on you! Administrator

A few people mentioned this warning above the lockscreen and I thought it was a pretty severe solution. I tried it (youtube video coming soon). It worked. Factory reset my phone. All data wiped.

I'm not sure if this is a good thing or a bad thing. I imagine kids, friends, or even someone who stole your phone might ignore the messages and just power through trying to guess. Before you know it... all your data is bye bye. Pictures, videos, music, everything.

This is probably a good excuse to get a backup solution figured out sooner rather than later.

Interestingly enough, another AF user requested this feature on the T-Mobile G2 way back in December 2010:
    http://androidforums.com/t-mobile-g...rnal-sd-card-after-n-failed-pin-attempts.html

I guess they finally got their wish!

Advertisement
  2. Dodge DeBoulet

Dodge DeBoulet Active Member

No different from a Blackberry, but then again, no one would want to pick up and play with a Blackberry ;)
  3. Granite1

Granite1 Zercron Encrusted Tweezer Moderator

The big question is, does this then unlock the phone for use?

If so, it's an easy way to unlock a stolen phone, then use it.

6 in one, 1/2 dozen in the other I guess. Still a good idea, just might need a little tweaking to get it 100%. :)
    iowabowtech likes this.
  4. theboldest

theboldest Member

I was worried about this myself, and went through and tried to lock myself out.

After a few tries it puts the phone on lockout like an apple does. Then goes to "forgot your pattern" screen and gives you a login screen to use your google acct. I didn't go past that. I'm pretty sure the developers aren't that stupid to just put a vanilla 10 strikes you're out with no buffer for kids, or someone messing with you.

Plus with the blackberry you still had to psychically type the word blackberry 3 times before it got completely wiped, so 'messing' with it would never wipe unless you REALLY wanted it wiped
    Granite1 likes this.
  5. Dodge DeBoulet

Dodge DeBoulet Active Member

Average 4-year-old: "Ooh, spelling game! B-L-A-C-K-B-E-R-R-Y. That was FUN!!! Again! Again! W-I-P-E? . . . mommy says I should always wipe!"

:D

(PS. I know it's an unintentional typo, but I've never seen anyone type psychically. You certainly wouldn't need a physical keyboard for that :D)
  6. iowabowtech

iowabowtech root@android:/ # Moderator

Bingo. Just when they started to seal off the factory reset to steal option, they bring it back and make it way easier. Makes no sense to me.
  7. motionblurrr

motionblurrr Member

The right way to implement this is as an option. Then you make everyone happy. Why HTC chose to force it on us is beyond me. Possibly deal breaker for me. I got 13 days left to decide.