$10 Premium Data Fee?

Last Updated:

1. edlex

edlex Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Well I talked to sprint today to ask about this $10 fee that I heard about on cnet regarding the evo and yes, there is an additional monthly fee associated to adding the phone. She said they didn't tell her exactly why but when I asked if it was for 4G access she said probably. So I told her there isn't any 4G service in Miami she said we would have to pay it anyway. So, unfortunately, I'm canceling my pre order until Miami gets 4G service. I really can't justify paying $120 a year just to play with a new phone. :(

Advertisement
  2. Fazz

Fazz Active Member

Are you serious!!!!!?

3. Aridon

Aridon Well-Known Member

I'm sure you won't be the only one sprint loses over it.

jgangsta and pelebkf like this.
  4. edlex

As a heart attack! I was shocked. I called because I thought for sure cnet was wrong. Makes no sense. I really wanted this phone too.

5. Rigmaster

Rigmaster Well-Known Member

Not going to be able to get a 3G smartphone anywhere else for cheaper even with the $10 surcharge.

6. drksilenc

drksilenc Well-Known Member

lol 120 what is that for the average american 10 hours? wow ive used like 40 hrs + on this forum about this phone

7. edlex

I know, but it's the principle of the thing. If my city had 4G then cool, I'm paying for all the extra bandwidth I'm sucking. But come on, I'm paying extra for nothing? I'll just wait, even if I have to suffer reading about you guys playing with it.

8. edlex

Nah, they won't lose me. My wife and I have been with sprint over 13 years. We aren't going anywhere. They did lose the sale but that's ok, they'll get my money one way or another.

9. Agent Jones

Agent Jones Well-Known Member

even with the 10 bucks its still cheaper than all other everything data plans on the other big 3 carriers. also free cell phone to cell phone calls. i have 4g in my area (SATX) and even if i didnt, i would still have no problem paying the 10 bucks. look at the 10 bucks as a fee to help bring 4g to your area.

10. Bek

Bek Well-Known Member

11. ImmaSlave4U

ImmaSlave4U Well-Known Member

A couple weeks ago I contacted Sprint after reading that the fee applies to every EVO user. I just wanted to verify and this is the reply I received. l'll still be getting this phone and recently found out that 4G will be here in Eugene this summer. Nice! :)

pelebkf and edlex like this.
  12. edlex

I hear you. And I agree sprints plans are cheaper (13years with sprint) but I'm having a tough time justifying being forced to pay an extra $10 a month for no reason for a phone that most likely will be replaced by something bigger and better in 6 months. I'm not knocking the phone, on the contrary, I think it's awesome but if you're trying to get an extra $10 a month from me then give me something more than just because it's a cool phone. As far as getting 4G in Miami, it's gonna get here whenever they want it to regardless of my $10 monthly donation.

13. edlex

Thank you. That's the first real explanation I've heard. I'm still going to wait for 4G in Miami but at least I feel like I wasn't getting conned.

14. Lindseybp

Lindseybp Well-Known Member

They need to throw in wi-fi hotspot for free since they are making everyone pay the $10 extra. That would totally be worth it.

pelebkf likes this.
  15. rushmore

rushmore Well-Known Member

This $10 does not give you 3G, it "removes" the 5gb cap for data. Since all but bit torrent junkies would never ever get near 5gb in a month, this is a luxury charge for most people- unless you will use 4g, daily.

ferbs027 likes this.
  16. Bek

Bek Well-Known Member

Not so fast... it's quite easy to legitimately consume 5gb in a month.

I have a 2 hour round trip commute to work every day, via the train. I often sit around and watch streaming TV, and keep an eye on my bandwidth, and get very close to that without much effort.

pelebkf likes this.
  17. pelebkf

pelebkf Active Member

The 10/m gives you is 2 things:

1. Truly unlimted 3g data
    2. Avalability of 4g if you are in the market

As of today if you don't want to pay that then you will not get the phone.

I for one hope that Sprint is catching alot of flack for this fee and they decide not to charge it.

18. misterzeno

misterzeno Well-Known Member

Man this topic never dies, kill it with fire. It should be obvious by now they change is mandatory.

Sage

19. ImmaSlave4U

ImmaSlave4U Well-Known Member

Clearwire has confirmed that 4G will be rolled out this summer in Orlando, Tampa, and Daytona so hopefully Miami will be soon after!

pelebkf likes this.
  20. TheBiles

TheBiles Well-Known Member

Your loss.

Sent from my HERO200 using Tapatalk

21. rushmore

rushmore Well-Known Member

Ok, so Sprint should refund people the $10 each month if they do not use 4G or go over the 5gb limit :) Point is, most Sprint customers do not have the luxury of even having 3G always, so most people will not get near 5gb. If using wifi, it will not matter anyways.

Tmo and Sprint have similar 3G footprints. Then again, ALL Android devices for the other carriers must have $30 monthly data plans. How much is Sprint's without the $10 charge? If equal to or less than $30, there is really no problem and Sprint is just joining the competition.

That said, it places them closer to VZW price range, which has a much better 3G coverage map for most people.

22. Bek

Bek Well-Known Member

:confused:

Care to back up this ridiculous claim with some factual information?

23. Rigmaster

Rigmaster Well-Known Member

Don't get the phone unless Sprint drops the charge if that's what you prefer. I see $10 as reasonable and have not made any comments other than the upside way of looking at the charge that exists as it is now.

If it's a luxury tax, I'm willing to pay and so is anyone who gets the phone. They haven't hidden it so I know what I'm signing up for. If I didn't like it that much, I'd skip the phone.

24. avacomputers

avacomputers Well-Known Member

I Love these threads. So much Fun.

25. Wrxdrunkie

Wrxdrunkie Well-Known Member

I am sure if you told the rep. that you wanted to cancel because of the $10 increase to the point where she transfered you to account services, maintaining your cool the whole time, you could get a $10 credit for the next 24 months from the account services/cancellation department. ;)