$10 Wifi Hotspot addonGeneral

Last Updated:

1. MiguelAMX

MiguelAMX Well-Known Member

Since we can inevitably root this device and create our own hotspot for free. Do you believe Boost Mobile will be on our case for this ? I believe Verizon and ATT throttle for unpaid hotspot ability ?

Advertisement
  2. zombu2

zombu2 Well-Known Member

Well I doubt they can get on to us since they have no way of telling if you just a heavy data user or use wireless tether for root unless they spy on you , But with todays bandwidth hungry apps who can tell unless you call them and tell em you tether hehe
  3. downthemachine

downthemachine Developer Incognito VIP Member

The 10 bucks a month is for legitimate tethering. Technically its a violation of the terms of service if you root your phone and tether. But I've been with boost since the prevail came out, tethering up 4gb a month with no issues. But there is always a chance they could disconnect you
  4. Apache Thunder

Apache Thunder Well-Known Member

Sometime later this year they will start data caps and will limit all users to 2.5 GB a month and after that they will throttle it to 3G speeds. So enjoy your unlimited tether while you can. :p

Unless buying the tether option gets one a higher data cap, then I might actually consider buying it...once my shrinkage goes down to 40. That won't be for another year though. :p
  5. downthemachine

downthemachine Developer Incognito VIP Member

Well we recently found that the throttling is controlled by your phone. It's in the /data/system/throttle folder. If someone can check their htc for that folder to see if it exists, we can confirm it's across all the boost line. The warp, the transform, the prevail, confirmed. It's a simple fix to lock it down
  6. Apache Thunder

Apache Thunder Well-Known Member

Really? I always thought the carrier would do that at their end...

I checked and my phone does indeed have that folder. There's a couple files in it as well.
  7. zombu2

zombu2 Well-Known Member

deleted teh files and locked the folder down

lets see what happens
  8. smith058

smith058 Well-Known Member

To my knowledge it has not been confirmed to actually work ... however I deleted the files on my transform ultra and this evo too... I hope it does do the trick.... lucky us if it does:):D
  9. topcat625

topcat625 New Member

Is it normal to go past 2.56 GB in a month time???
  10. damewolf13

damewolf13 live~laugh~love VIP Member

I usually use 3 to 4 GB a month. It just depends on what you use your phone for.
  11. guyphs

guyphs Well-Known Member

I think my record is 7gb in a month when I was with tmo. But in addition to normal phone stuff my 4g was (and still is) fast enough to use as my home internet, so I'd tether it to my computer, my ps3, etc
  12. Pigkiller007

Pigkiller007 New Member

i currently have a motorola xprt from sprint and service is boostmobile and i cant get the hot spot to work because it dont have it could i get any help? i dont know what is root or other things but give me an idea on houw to make my motorola from boostmobile to have my own hot spot to work
  13. lancemulvihill

lancemulvihill Well-Known Member

I literally use between 40 to 60 gigs in a months time. Is that normal?...........probably not. But I'm with sprint, and unlimited data is great!

I'm going to try deleting that folder and see if I can get past 2.67 mb/s per second. Fingers crossed
  14. kolosus

kolosus Well-Known Member

40gb a month? You sure? With Sprint/Boost's abysmal speed that is quite a feat. Are you on 4g? Aside from the speed issue what the he** do you do with it? Netflix 24/7?

I'm an intensive user but I use about 150-200 megs a day at work and I work 6 days. I might put a dent on Boost (being that I'm on the last rung of shrinkage) but they've never called me or indicated that I'm causing problems.
  15. lancemulvihill

lancemulvihill Well-Known Member

Yea I'm sure. I Netflix everyday, besides that, I download movies, Wii games, albums, ....... And the list goes on.
    I'm not sure what shrinkage is. pretty sure that's just boost. And unfortunately I'm not on 4g.
  16. MIGzNYC

MIGzNYC Well-Known Member

when i was with verizon I would easily go over 30gb... oh how i miss the speed. On boost i feel im right back to 3g... smh
  17. kristieg1217

kristieg1217 New Member

did anyone ever post instructions on how to make this phone a hotspot? or maybe just direct me to the "how to's for dummies' area lol.....I hate this phone but if i could enable hotspot i might not throw it out the window.
  18. SirSasquatch

SirSasquatch Member

wifi_tether_v3_1-beta14.apk - android-wifi-tether - WiFi Tether for Root Users 3.1-beta14 *** BETA *** - Wireless Tether for Root Users - Google Project Hosting

Once installed, to configure: hit menu, then settings, then click on Change Device-Profile. Once there find and set Generic ICS.

I hope this helps you out.