100% awake time and short battery life

Last Updated:

1. gens6200

gens6200 New Member This Topic's Starter

I got the fantastic Desire friday and I'm really enjoying it so far coming from iPhone and Hero.

Unfortunately I've run into a little issue: Up time and awake time (in Settings>About phone>Battery) are almost the same, meaning that the CPU never correctly throttles down when the phone is asleep. This is causing battery life to be rather short - On average I get 10-15 hours out of the phone with moderate settings.

By going to the battery info console (type *#*#4636#*#* in dialer) I managed to figure out that the calendar in some way is running and preventing the phone from sleeping (Partial wake in top dropdown). I did a factory reset and it hasn't seemed to help. There are 2 calendar related apps running: Obexservice and connectivityservice.

Are anyone seeing the same issue? What can I do to fix it? I'd hate to replace it after just 4 days...

Advertisement
  2. uzetaab

uzetaab Well-Known Member

I know it was a while ago, but I am seeing the same thing in spare parts. I wonder, what edition of the desire do you have? I have the Australian Telstra one.

I have my alarm clock set to go off the same time every day, so that might be the culprit. My other option is the htc clock & weather widget. Other than that, I don't know what it could be. I have not used the calendar at all. Come to think of it though, some of my contacts have birth dates, maybe they set appointments?

3. WhiteChristmas

WhiteChristmas Active Member

I had the same problem, but mine was caused by 'media' keeping the phone awake. The only way I could resolve it was by re-flashing my ROM. Why don't you carry out a back up of all your data and try carrying out a factory reset, see if that makes a difference.

4. uzetaab

I hesitate to do that for 2 reasons.

The first is pure lazyness. I just got the phone mostly set up & I imagine that the backup will either leave a few things out or backup whatever is causing the issue. I'd rather not have to start again.

The other reason is that, although this seems to be the only post in the desire forum with the calendar half awake issue, there are lots of similar posts in other forums, like for the hero & incredible. Some people have tried re-flashing their rom but it didn't solve their problem. so I am now trying to figure out the cause.

I've since done some more research and apparently, there are many apps that mislabel themselves as calendar when they are actually something else. In my case, when I stop the service, my phone will no longer connect to the PC.

Other people have solved the issue by removing flickr or facebook syncing. Anyway, I'll post after I have done some more force closing.

5. uzetaab

Well, how about that, I seem to have fixed it as well. I'm not sure which it was since I removed 3 accounts at once, but it was one of the following:

facebook
    twitter
    google*
    flickr**

*for google, I actually had 2 email accounts set up even though I only really have 1. the other account must have been me accidentally trying to log in using the wrong username.

**I had tried removing this earlier since several other ppl solved it by removing that account, but it didn't work for me.

I suspect that it could be caused by any auto sync account and anyone with this issue should try them all one by one, starting with the least important accounts. You may be able to re-add the account again without issues since not everyone has this problem.

I'm still playing with it, restarting the phone takes time, but I think it might be facebook causing my issue.

Note that the account must be removed, not just disabling autosync. You can find the accounts by pressing the menu button at the desktop:

settings>accounts & sync

WhiteChristmas likes this.
  6. WhiteChristmas

WhiteChristmas Active Member

Good to know you solved it and hopefully anyone else experiencing the same issue will try your method.

7. nx1977

nx1977 Well-Known Member

It would be the flickr acct causing it. well known issue

8. MikeD100

MikeD100 New Member

I have found two things that I think are relevant by observation. First when the battery is discharging at a rapid rate the phone gets noticably warm - obvious really - more appropriately if the phone is warm I know its discharging fast. Second if I Force Stop the app DRM Protected Contents Storeage, the phone goes cool again and the battery will last for up to 2 days dependant on useage. DRM Protected Contents Storage is part of the Media item displayed in the battery useage monitoring facility in About Phone, Battery. Media exists after a PC connect, or displaying photos and videos etc - reasonable. Can anyone else confirm this behaviour on their devices and can anyone explain why this would be so.