10MB of data used overnight?

Last Updated:

1. carrot

carrot Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Ok, I'm going to Canada tomorrow and will be the first time with something else than a Blackberry... So I downloaded "Network Monitor", disabled WiFi and used Task Killer to kill everything except "E-mail" and "gmail".

When I woke up this morning, I sunk gmail (there 1 e-mail) because my gmail doesn't auto-sync anymore.

Opened up the Network Monitor to find out 4.41MB up and 5.06MB down, total of 9.47MB (in 9 hours).

Now, this is 20$ right there.

The task running this morning :
    Alarm Clock
    Voice Dialer
    Gmail
    Settings
    Messaging
    Network Monitor
    Advanced Task Killer

I'll try to find a per application byte counting app... I think I've seen 1 for .50 UK.

Anybody has observed the same problem? Maybe my gmail sync problem is using all that bandwidth.

I used to spend weeks in Canada and it would use only about 1-2MB (just e-mail).

Advertisement
  2. Bkfraiders7

Bkfraiders7 Well-Known Member

Just curious, but why disable wifi? Especially if the place your staying at has it.

You could then disable your 3G Verizon network and only use the Wifi and it wouldnt cost you that out of country service.

3. carrot

The "Network Monitor" application might not be good... I'm waiting for my Verizon Wireless update, but I didn't use more than 1MB the whole day yesterday and did some download.

4. carrot

I disabled wifi because I want to know how much traffic is used over the mobile network. Of course I'll enable wifi wherever I'm at to save some money. But I won't have wifi available in the car for example. Doesn't mean that wifi will be available for free at the hotel.

5. nateo200

nateo200 Well-Known Member

Well for 64.99 you can get unlimited data in Canada. Just thought id throw that out there.

6. messenger13

messenger13 Well-Known Member

If I were you, I'd disable ALL data until you absolutely need it.

To disable data:

- Open dialer
    - Dial *#*#4636#*#*
    - Tap 'Phone Information'
    - Press Menu button
    - Tap on More
    - Tap Disable data connection (Or, Disable data on boot. You could do that on the way TO work, then just reboot when you get to work.)

Simply reverse the steps to re-enable your data connection ... either immediately, or after your next reboot.

7. carrot

Well, this is not an option. I need my e-mail for work. But I believe the "Network Monitor" application multiply the data by 10 (well, even 10MB was way too much!". Didn't receive my Verizon report for midnight-9am.

But there is also the "Data Roaming" which says "Connect to data services when roaming" in the Settings -> Wireless -> Mobile Networks.

There is really a need for a "firewall" that unblocks connection. Or the task killer is necessary for roaming since the applications don't close when exiting.

Maybe I can try to sniff all the packet on the wifi network to see what's happening.