11 things to do after unboxing samsung galaxy s3 and other mobilesTips

1. DRURFAN

DRURFAN Active Member

First 11 basic things to do after unboxing the mobile
    1. Sign in with google account if you have already one or make a new one. If you want to restore settings of previous android mobile to S3, then sign in beginning ( you need internet to sign in)
    2. Fully charge the mobile. Although with new batteries, the problem of battery memory is not there but still better to follow the advice or manual. fully charge and discharge few times
    3. In contacts, bring contacts from old mobile. One simple way is if your old contacts are already synchrozed with google, then you can simply download from google all the contactsin S3 or save old contacts as file like CSV etc and then import to new
    4. Go to market--> menu --> my applications and update if available for existing application
    5. Buy good capacity MicroSD card. S3 supports upto 64 Gb card. In order to avoid cluttering of phone internal memory, go to camera settings and change storage from phone to SD card so that photos and movies are stored on card
    6. Down load Samsung kies on your desk top and synchronized in order to keep backup of your contacts, sms, photos, movies etc. Alternatively you can use kies air to do wireless synchronization or other backup programs
    7. Make account with drop box as S3 buyers can get 50 GB free for two years intead of 5 Gb. After you will recieve a mail from dropbox asking for few steps to increase your storage. If you don't know what dropbox is, google it
    8. If you have mobile net, then set the data limit as per your subscription. Go to setting-->data usage--> make it on and set the monthly data limit to avoid overpayment
    9. For added security put screen lock. You can put face or voice lock (low security but more fancy) or password/pin lock(strong security). Go to settings and security
    10. Put good antivirus if you are planning to download lot of applicationsespecially from unsecured places
    11. Subscribe to services like samsungdive or androidlost etc in case of misplacing or loosing yourmobile, you can find it online
    You can find these tips on youtube as well with putting same title in search in case, you wanna review again
    11 things to do after unboxing samsung galaxy s3 & other android mobiles - YouTube

Advertisement
    jessOTR, saltz, TigerSmurf and 8 others like this.
  2. Szadzik

Szadzik Well-Known Member

#2 will kill your battery very nicely as Li-Ion and Li-Pol batteries do not like being discharged fully.

Thanks for the great advice from 15 years ago when we only had memory-effect-affected batteries.
  3. ab30494

ab30494 Well-Known Member

#10. Use Avast mobile, it is anit-virus, and also good for finding your lost or stolen phone
  4. Android26

Android26 Well-Known Member

I wouldn't have done a single one of those (except for the obvious #1) lol woops.

#1 though should be PLAY WITH THE PHONE!!!!!!!! :D
  5. DRURFAN

DRURFAN Active Member

Yes I agree that with modern batteries, this problem is not there and even I mentioned this but although battery coming partially charged, in manual first advice is written to charge the battery and remove when full.
  6. Evo 5oh

Evo 5oh Well-Known Member

No sir....

#1 Show off your Galaxy to those who dont have one.
  7. matttye

matttye Well-Known Member

Most devices won't let you discharge the battery fully for that very reason. Whilst they show you only have 1% remaining, you probably actually have about 6% or something. The other reason they do this is so that the device can shut down gracefully. You never see a phone just turn itself off when the battery runs out, it always shuts down gracefully with a "shutting down..." blinker or whatever.
  8. hell911

hell911 Member

1. Stare at your phone for 10 seconds like this..

[​IMG]

2. Then say "YES" like this

[​IMG]

3. Try all features so you can be familiarize with them.
  9. jimbo1mcm

jimbo1mcm Well-Known Member

Thanks for the posting. Good faith postings are always welcome. Sometimes you have to wear a flameproof suit, but don't let it dissuade you from posting.
    Hadron likes this.
  10. lunatic59

lunatic59 Moderati ergo sum Moderator

The primary rule in voicing differing opinions is attack issues, not each other. Please do not make this personal because it distracts from getting important information to the rest of the members. We have Jerry Springer and Maury Povich if people wish to be entertained by meaningless conflict.

Now, to the issue of the battery.

In fact, you are both right. Li-Ion batteries do not suffer from the memory effect and do not need to be conditioned. And deeply discharging a li-ion battery frequently can damage it and letting it discharge completely and stay that way for a long time can render it unchargable.

That said, the ops advice is also sound. Android needs to be taught exactly what a full charge represents so that it can manage power appropriately.

One of the things I recommend all new phone owners to do is to perform a deep power cycle.

Let your phone discharge completely, keep it on until you are warned about low battery and then just let it run out. Most phone will shut down automatically around 5%.

Plug the phone into the original a/c charger, not the usb cable. Let it charge to full uninterrupted.

When the phone says full, unplug the phone from the charge and reboot. Once the phone is completely restarted, plug it back into the charger and shut the phone off. Even if it says fully charged, let it charge for at least one more hour.

Unplug the charger and reboot the phone one more time. Now you should start seeing (possibly significantly) longer charge times.

Without a deep power cycle, it doesn't know the true capacity of the battery. You should only need to do this once as regularly deep cycling the battery can harm it. Li-Ion batteries perform better and last longer with incremental charges.
  11. Szadzik

Szadzik Well-Known Member

The fact that it does not discharge down to 0 does not mean it is good for the phone. These batteries are maintained in the best way if you do not go below 20% before plugging in. The advice, is harmful and if you follow it, you will kill your battery in a few days.
  12. matttye

matttye Well-Known Member

That is completely false. I'm not sure where you're getting your information or if you've tried it yourself, but I regularly completely discharge and recharge the battery in my S2 and I still get good life out of it.

Do a search for "battery calibration" - most sites advise that you discharge the battery completely, recharge completely with phone on, then turn the phone off and charge it further.

Manufacturers wouldn't let you deplete the battery below 20% if it was harmful to the battery (more harmful than ordinary use anyway).
    21plays likes this.
  13. DRURFAN

DRURFAN Active Member

I like this .....just for fun
  14. DRURFAN

DRURFAN Active Member

Avast or lookout both can work as antivirus plus finding lost mobile
  15. From the sounds of it a factory reset is the first thing to do judging by the amount of people having to do one to correct certain issues
  16. pixaro

pixaro Well-Known Member

- Important Step
  17. sherlock5545

sherlock5545 Well-Known Member

Is the antivirus actually effective? I read somewhere it's pretty much useless. Anyone able to enlighten me?
  18. jerofld

jerofld Fixing stuff is not easy VIP Member

19. Thechidz

Thechidz Well-Known Member

20. darkestred

darkestred Well-Known Member

antivirus? c'mon. Just know your sites.
  21. DRURFAN

DRURFAN Active Member

If you are downloading from google play, then usually these apps are safe however it is not 100 % guaranteed as last year there were some cases but it is unusual however there is significant risk from unsecure sites
  22. DRURFAN

DRURFAN Active Member

Factory reset I don't think is needed initially. May be if your phone is screwed due to mismanaged application and other ways fail to correct problem then you might need it but not initially
  23. DRURFAN

DRURFAN Active Member

There was a question regarding duplicate contacts. There are many means like on your S3, you can open contacts, press long on contact where you want to merge/del the duplicate, submenu appears, press on join, it will give to list of possilbe duplicates, select one and it will be merged with original. Other way is through PC if your contacts are synchronized with google. Just login to google contacts with your used name, on top press on more tab where you will find merge/ delete the dupicate contests
  24. rjtim

rjtim Well-Known Member

Is charging regularly through USB alright?
  25. DRURFAN

DRURFAN Active Member

Yes it is fine ut what exactly you mean by regularly?