12 hours of o2 froyo hell!!!Support

Last Updated:

1. rich0684

rich0684 New Member This Topic's Starter

Hi there,

I have HTC Desire from O2 and after 12 hours of online searching and tweaking I'm hoping someone may be able to help.

I received the OTA upgrade yesterday which I accepted because I thought O2 might have it sorted by now. Obviously not. Anyway update ran with no interruption but then rebooted to a frozen O2 screen.

I searched the net and eventually found the guide to update the phone using the RUU Rom. I followed this to the letter and the installer for the RUU wouldnt't open. I then realised that Google Chrome hadn't fully downloaded the file (113mb not 171mb). I then used a download manager to ensure I had the full file. It then ran and seemed to be working... until 80% in when I get ERROR 110 File Open.... please use a complete RUU. I downloaded it several more times in various ways but still same result. By this point my phone was pretty much bricked.

I had black screen with silver HTC logo in the middle and 4 exclamation marks in the corners.... this remained whilst the phone was plugged in and the buttons in any combination did nothing. When i removed the USB cable i got a white boot screen with RUU highlighted in orange and again.... buttons do nothing. Every time I ran the RUU file it brought up a green bar as if it was making progress but then errors at the same point every time.

I tried it on two computers, one win7 and the other vista. The vista machine doesn't even see the phone, it gives a USB error before the update begins.

At 2am I used the SDK download and typed the following at command prompt.... "fastboot oem boot".... phone instantly boots into O2 Froyo and works fine. If i then unplug the phone, turn it off and on again.... i get the black HTC screen again, back to square one.

At the moment I have fastbooted it so its working and have used the goldcard tool to obtain the CID and created the .img file.

I don't know what to from here!!.... the update obviously hasn't FULLY worked but it must have completed enough for the thing to fastboot and seems to have full functionality (calls, wireless, network etc)

I don't really want to void the warranty but O2's only option is to send it off for 14 days to have an engineer tell me its buggered and send a replacement.

Any advice is appreciated.

Rich.

Advertisement
  2. Frisco

Frisco =Luceat Lux Vestra= VIP Member

Hello Rich, and welcome to Android Forums.

Sorry to see that you're having such problems with upgrading to Froyo. It appears that you may be attempting to install via an incomplete RUU download, and that the second download is not being seen by the system during that portion of the process.

If it were my device, I'd take the trouble to back up as much as I could and then do a factory data reset.

Following that (I would not want the 2.2, but you do so I'll go by that instead of my instincts ;)) I'd find an RUU download that included the md5 checksum, which is far more reliable for insuring completion and integrity of the download than file size is.

I'd then proceed from that point as before.. slowly of course. ;)

Good luck, post back.

I've moved this to the Desire troubleshooting area for you.

3. C3PO_1

C3PO_1 Active Member

This is EXACTLY what happened to me ... O2 sent me out a replacement phone and it now has reboot issues under CPU load. Triffic.

4. rich0684

Thanks for the advice Frisco...

What is this md5 checksum? i have googled it but still not 100%!

I have downloaded the RUU from....

Index of /shipped/Bravo/

The one I used is Froyo O2 UK 2.14.207.1

Are you suggesting that I need to find an alternative download of this file containing the said md5 checksum? If so I haven't found anywhere else that hosts these files.

Thanks again for your support.

Rich

5. rich0684

anyone?

6. landwomble

landwomble Member

If you can get it to boot I'd suggest rooting it with a 2.2 ROM and work from there.
    Suggest the AuraxTSense 7.6.1 ROM from xda-developers.com.
    You definitely want 2.2 Froyo, it's way better.
    If you can't root it (try unrevoked first) then hit up the Desire forum on XDA or post back.

7. Griff_LI

Griff_LI Well-Known Member

Not sure if it's any help but I used these instructions for my Froyo upgrade.

It mentions that the RUU app can fail the first time and you have to do a battery pull before re-running it (and it should be fine).

Good luck!

8. rich0684

Hi guys,

Thanks for your replies.

Unfortunately no success because I cannot access any of the boot menus described in any of the tutorials.

At the moment, due to running fastboot from command prompt, my phone is working fine with froyo since Friday but I have had to ensure the battery does not run flat otherwise the nly way to get the phone back on is to plug in and run fastboot again.

I tried running fastboot with the various button combinations pressed but the phone continues to boot normally and doesn't allow me access to the boots menus.

Another point that might be worth noting... my phone will not connect to HTC sync. I plug in and select it and it searches, computer makes the sound to say it has something connected but nothing happens and I get the "unable to find HTC sync" message. I have re-installed the program several times but no change.

I have posted over on XDA too so if I manage to resolve the issue I will pass on the info.

Thanks
    Rich

9. marios23

marios23 New Member

Hi all, Just joined and like other members I've had problems with upgrading to Android 2.2. Whilst I look to have taken the update and the phone is working I cannot get 3G again!?! I've set the APN setting to 02 (im using an un-locked non branded vodaphone HTC desire) Under wireless network I see Mobile network enabled but greyed out and it mentions just below that 'Turning on' this sometimes goes to Connection failed. It then just goes on to report 'turning on' Any ideas and can I tell if I've taken a 02 flavour of 2.2 instead of the htc's generic update. I see its Build 2.10.161.2 CL229389 release-keys. Software number 2.10.161.2 Many thanks.. Marios.