• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

12 volt usb charger question

The amperage available determines how long it takes for the phone to charge. All current cellphones require ~5 Volts, which is what all chargers supply. If you pay more than $5 for a plug-in car charger, you're being ripped off, unless you want to walk in riand walk out right now with a charger. There are plenty of good ones on eBay and Amazon for a few bucks. (I've had one in each car for a couple of years, and I think about the ash tray more than I have to think about the chargers - they just work. I think one was about $1.50 from China, the other was about $2 or $3 from Amazon.)

If you have a Samsung phone, and you want it to charge at the rate it charges when using the wall charger, you'll have to buy a Samsung charger - they have a "special circuit" (actually 2 shorted pins) to tell the phone to charge ar a higher rate. But if your phone does okay charging from the computer, any charger will do. (A Samsung charger is about $35 - $1.50 for the charger and $33.50 for a half inch of wire shorting 2 pins in the plug.)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones