• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.
My Droid running 2.1 update 1 will no longer charge on the 12v power plug and my sons droid running 2.1 update 1 no longer charges off the 120 power plug he has to use the usb cord to charge the phone. Any one else run into this?:mad:

you may want to wait until you get the 2.2 OTA and if that doesn't fix it then do a factory data reset. If that doesn't fix it, call verizon and demand a replacement. They are giving these away left and right.

Upvote 0
Yes they are two seperate chargers. The 12v charger was bought at Wal-Mart. the fuse is still good and the red power light comes on when pluged into a 12v power source but when pluged into my droid or my sons it will not show that it is charging. The 120v charger works on my droid but not on my sons and it came with the phone. My sons droid will not charge off any 120v charger we have tryed both mine and his. His 120v and mine both work on my droid but the 12v wont work on his or my phone.

Upvote 0
Yes they are two seperate chargers. The 12v charger was bought at Wal-Mart. the fuse is still good and the red power light comes on when pluged into a 12v power source but when pluged into my droid or my sons it will not show that it is charging. The 120v charger works on my droid but not on my sons and it came with the phone. My sons droid will not charge off any 120v charger we have tryed both mine and his. His 120v and mine both work on my droid but the 12v wont work on his or my phone.

I got a "for-real" Motorola 12v car charger on EBay for something like $8 including shipping. It works fine with my wife's and daughter's Blackberrys, too. Do yourself a favor and skip the Wal-Mart specials...
I don't know what to say about the wall charger, that may be the phone itself.

Here's a link to a genuine Moto one on Ebay for $8.55 with free shipping...
OEM Motorola RAPID Micro Car Charger ROKR E8 ZN5 Q9h - eBay (item 350384704246 end time Aug-22-10 09:49:05 PDT)

Upvote 0

To guarantee that a charger will charge the droid, the output amperage must be at least 750 milliAmps, most cheap usb chargers only put out 500 milliAmps, do yourself a favor and go to monoprice.com and get their 1000 milliamp chargers, they have both wall and car chargers that output 1000 milliamps, for probably less than you paid at wall mart.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones