• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root 13,000GBP Vodaphone 90+gb download!?

invaderzim

Jun 27, 2010
I just recieved word that my bill for the month of August is over 13,000 GBP!

Vodafone informed me that during a the month of August I used over 90GB of data. First off, I have a rooted Hero. It doesn't even have the procesing power to do that. Also, I am running VillianROM Froydvillian 1.5.0 and it is my understanding that this ROM is sending bad information to Vodafone which is why there are reading over 90GB.

Anybody know of a fix action for this?

-IZ!

First, that's rad.

Second, it would seem odd that the phone has to send data usage to a provider for billing purposes as this could very easily be modified to suit the user. It's much easier, and safer for a provider, to monitor data usage as it passes through the provider on its way to or from the handset.

Third, pertaining to the second, where did you hear this rumor? And if it is the ROM, get rid of it, unless you value the ROM at > 13K GBP.

Upvote 0
I agree with Swizz, they track your usage them selves rather than asking the phone.

I mean obviously something is seriously messed up, but I don't think it's froyd's fault. Besides, their forum would currently be exploding if that were the case.

Call them up right away and get some answers.

Upvote 0
I have talked to Vodafone (VF) and explained to them that it is not physically possible for my phone to download that much data.

What they have told me is that I have used 90+GB of data over their network. And according to my calculations, at 13000GBP would equal just under a terrabyte. (VF says that they charge 15 pounds for every gig over the limit) Which again is impossible.

Also, I don't have anywhere near the processing power to touch 1/25th of that much Giggage...

Good point Swizz. I don't blame VillianROM. I love those guys. I was talking to person who is big into mobile technology who suggested that it may be the ROM that is messing up the data usage. He is not sure, because he runs a different ROM, obviously I am still trying to figure it out.

VF is currently "recalculating" my bill right now. Although I have a feeling that it will still say the same.

I guess the guys at VF have no idea about phones or else a bill/usage of that amount would come in as very shocking and bizarre. I would think that it would warrant further scrutiny.

-IZ!

Upvote 0
OK, so a simple bit of maths. Just for pure interest here.

In August there were 2,678,400 Seconds.
The maximum download speed available on HSDPA is 3.6Megabits/sec

Since the operators give your usage in GigaBytes not Gigabits we'll convert the download speed to suit, so 3.6/8 = 0.45MegaBytes/sec.

We then take the maximum possible download speed, and multiply it by the number of seconds in August: 2,678,400*0.45 = 1,205,280 MegaBytes

This is the maximum possible number of MegaBytes that could be downloaded in a month.

This figure then needs to be converted to GigaBytes, fairly simple. 1,205,280/1024 = 1,117.03 GigaBytes.

So there we have it, it is infact technically possible to rack up usage to over a TeraByte, and that's just for download purposes, nevermind the upload usage.

So in theory, it is entirely possible to get a bill for over 90GB. Unless I've goofed on my maths somehow.

------

Before people start to tell me off for being too literal with the download speeds, I know that the maximum speed is rarely, if ever seen. But I just thought I'd prove a point to those people who were claiming it was impossible to get that sort of usage. If you can see that 1TB is actually possible, you might understand why the 90GB bill in this topic seems more than reachable.

------

So back onto the topic, and to help where I can.

#1 - If your data usage has hit 90GB, you should only be charged

Upvote 0
@Fozzy, thanks for all the information. So am I too understand that it is possible to do what they said I did?

My use of data over their network is somewhat limited. I mainly update existing apps and I will tether it to a laptop every once in a while just to check e-mail.

I know I didn't use that much data. Before my android phone I used a wireless dongle for tethering. Max allowed was 3GB. I rarely exceeded that during a months time. I used my dongle for internet more than I used my phone...

I don't know. I am still awaiting a response from VF.

Thanks!

-IZ!

Upvote 0
If the data size is correct you must of been streaming as opposed to downloading, as your phone does not have the storage to hold 90gb +, if this is accurate and you have changed nothing in your set up, then you will still be "Streaming" this data, are you monitoring your connection activity now??

Also if they come back and say this is correct, ask them for ip adresses of the connection that has sent this data, they should have a log of the ip's your phone has connected to.

Upvote 0
I did have it tethered to my laptop. Only to check e-mail and browse random websites. Never anything streaming...like youtube and the like. And it was usually never more than an hour at a time. What gets me though is that my wireless dongle was used more than my hero and I NEVER went over 3GB...

I haven't heard back from VF yet...

-IZ!

Upvote 0
The only other thing I can think of is that something on your laptop was also using the internet connection. Is it possible that you have some kind of virus on the laptop?

When you tether with the laptop, do you do it with a wire or by creating a wireless hotspot?

If you're creating a wireless hotspot, could someone else have been riding pillion on your hotspot.

You didn't happen to use the laptop abroad at all did you?

Does anyone know what happens if you don't pay these bills. I mean, i've heard about massive bills people have received from time to time, but I don't know what actually happens if you don't pay - anyone with any experience in this department I'm sure many of us would be glad to hear. It's fairly irresponsible of VF to let you rack up that kind of bill. I mean my bank start fining me and block transactions if I go 50 quid over drawn.

Upvote 0
Does anyone know what happens if you don't pay these bills. I mean, i've heard about massive bills people have received from time to time, but I don't know what actually happens if you don't pay - anyone with any experience in this department I'm sure many of us would be glad to hear. It's fairly irresponsible of VF to let you rack up that kind of bill. I mean my bank start fining me and block transactions if I go 50 quid over drawn.

(Gonna show off my inexperience with money here, but what the hey): I'm pretty sure it goes on some kind of credit report for a good few years. So next time you want to borrow money/get some kind of service, that company will know al about it.

Upvote 0
In my country, showing the inexperience too. It wont go on any record here. They will just try more ways to get it from you and if nothing they will go settle via court. Depends on the bill. What you mentioned counts here only for loans. Such as from banks. That goes onto the record and they can anytime check for it. But a carrier cant and wont have access to these records :) . Atleast not here but again not sure too :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones