• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Accessories 16Gb Class 6 MicroSD Baragain!

Class 2 is at least 2MB/s.
Class 4 is at least 4MB/s.
Class 6 is at least 6MB/s.

And so on...

These speeds are decimal as all Hardware manufacturers report in this (not actual binary like windows etc) where 1MB is 1,000,000B (instead of the actual amount which is really 1MB is 1048576B)

So in real terms, for a class 2, you will be able to transfer 1.9073MB in a second.

That's still pretty good though. That's 15.25Mbit/s. You'd be lucky to get that out of a 16Mbit/s broadband connection.

Upvote 0
These speeds are decimal as all Hardware manufacturers report in this (not actual binary like windows etc) where 1MB is 1,000,000B (instead of the actual amount which is really 1MB is 1048576B)

So in real terms, for a class 2, you will be able to transfer 1.9073MB in a second.

That's still pretty good though. That's 15.25Mbit/s. You'd be lucky to get that out of a 16Mbit/s broadband connection.

Yeah. But most seem to be at least that.

The class 2 card that came with the device transfers data at roughly 3MB/s I find :)

Upvote 0
Reactions: kofuukali
Upvote 0

Actually, class 1 is formally defined at 8 Mbit/s and so forth. So the speed ratings are true base 2, not base 10. Capacities, however, are as you say.

Upvote 0
well I see I have only launched a frenzy of buying, as they are again out of stock, just as I decide to "just go for it" :'(
So in exchange would anybody out there care to report on how good it is faring?
many thanks :)

Given Fried's link I wouldn't mind buying a Sandisk class2 instead, but I can't seem to find a "trusted" seller that sells it for at least the same price as the lexar....

Upvote 0
I bought one of these cards and received it yesterday.
It seems good so far. Previously I had an 8Gb SanDisk Class 4 microSD HC card in the phone. I transferred the data from this card to a pc and then back to the new SD card via the USB dongle I was getting a write speed roundabout 9Mb per second.
As a test I then tried copying the same data back to the 8Gb Sandisk and had speeds around 12Mb per second.
I always suspected that 8Gb card was performing well as noticed before that copying movies etc. was always quick.
I don't see it as a problem but will be interesting to see how it performs in the Desire.

Upvote 0
I bought one of these cards and received it yesterday.
It seems good so far. Previously I had an 8Gb SanDisk Class 4 microSD HC card in the phone. I transferred the data from this card to a pc and then back to the new SD card via the USB dongle I was getting a write speed roundabout 9Mb per second.
As a test I then tried copying the same data back to the 8Gb Sandisk and had speeds around 12Mb per second.
I always suspected that 8Gb card was performing well as noticed before that copying movies etc. was always quick.
I don't see it as a problem but will be interesting to see how it performs in the Desire.

Which one did you get? Sorry but can't work out where you've got it from.
Doesn't seem to be that many bargains out there anymore so if anyone has got a link to any good bargains let us know would you!! :D

Upvote 0
I've got a class 2 32gb sandisk and tried some HD recording and it seemed to manage fine. The playback was fine too. Previously I had a class 10 16gb card and I had stutters with that (before 720p update) so I suspect the card type is not always the limiting factor but perhaps the software? Hopefully there will be no more stutters with 2.2

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones