16GIG Class 2 card reading as 14.9GIG.Accessories

Last Updated:

1. Nagrom

Nagrom Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Hi Boardies.

Okay so I just got my new class 2 16GIG card. Yeah I know Class 2 is slowest of the range, but it's also the cheapest.

However when I first put it in the phone, it's reading 14.9GIG. Even after formatting it it still reads the same.

I'm not that clued up on MSD cards, is this normal?

Andy

Advertisement
  2. Casual Pete

Casual Pete Well-Known Member

Yes that's normal.If you look at your computers hard drive it will be the same.Something to do with the way manufacturers measure the size.

Nagrom likes this.
  3. Pryomancer

Pryomancer Well-Known Member

It's normal, due to some formatting process, or how they're built, or something like that, memory storage devices like memory cards, usb sticks, hard drives in ipods etc, always display a lower capacity than stated. It's just how it is. My 320gb hdd on my pc only formats to 293~gb, that's over 20gb lost.

Nagrom likes this.
  4. samdale36

samdale36 Well-Known Member

I think its something to do with manufacturers basing the number of Gb on there being 1000Mb in a Gb. In reality, there are 1024Mb in a Gb so the computer/phone shows less (these figures are approximate but you get the idea).

This explains it in a more complicated manner Hard drive showing wrong capacity? Here's why. - PCMech Forums

Nagrom likes this.
  5. anoniemouse

anoniemouse Well-Known Member

On a pc 1 gb = 1024 mb but hard drive manufactures & memory card manufactures class 1gb = 1000 mb therefore a computer will always read it as less than 1gb

Nagrom likes this.
  6. Nagrom

Nagrom Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Okay guys, as usual this board proves to be the most friendly, and helpful I've ever been a member of.

Thanks all.

Andy

7. thelostmango

thelostmango New Member

Yeah, not only do they calculate gigabytes as 1000mb, but a megabyte as 1000kb and a kilobyte as 1000 bytes.

So the manufacturer is giving you 16,000,000,000 bytes. The computer converts this into 16,000,000,000/(1024

8. SUroot

SUroot Well-Known Member Developer

Although most of the posts in this thread are correct there is a technical inaccuracy which my pedantic side just can't allow. GB, MB, gigabyte, megabyte. Gb, Mb, gigabit, megabit. Bytes usually used as sizes and bits sometimes used as transfer speeds. A bit is 1/8th of a byte. This is why when internet.explorer gives a lower KB/s than you expect to be downloading....

Nothing to do with the post but I'm bored and had to.get it off my chest

9. lekky

lekky Lover VIP Member

10. matttye

matttye Well-Known Member

Almost every country in the world uses a decimal number system (I can't think of a single one that doesn't - feel free to enlighten me if there are any.) For that reason I think the most logical way to measure things is also using a decimal system, not hexadecimal, binary or any other numeric system. It would make more sense for computers to adopt the sizes used by manufacturers.

11. SUroot

SUroot Well-Known Member Developer

Binary is the native language computers run on. Its a technological standard. It has to count in binary. Why not use binary?
    Imperial measurements arent metric, therefore not entirety decimal.