• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Accessories 1A car charger can't keep up with draw?

So, first long road trip on the DI. Bought a nice 5V 1A car charger and kept it plugged in using GPS and Pandora. Battery depleted as I drove.

Is that normal?

Which one did you get? I bought a cheapo off amazon (rated 1A too), it didnt draw enough power for me to stream online music.
I returned that cheapo and got a more exp one, a better brand, it works very well now.

Upvote 0
I had a bit of a different experience. I used the cable that came with the phone and plugged it in to a cigarette adapter that came with a cheap iPod bundle that I bought on Amazon a while ago. The battery would charge for a while (I was using Google Navigation). I use a battery monitoring app that puts the percentage in the notification bar, and it informed me that the battery was over-heating (~120 degrees Fahrenheit I believe). It would then refuse to charge the battery further. I'm not sure if the app wouldn't let it charge, or if it was an Android safe-guard (I'm guessing Android). Regardless, I have a dedicated car charger on the way in hopes of avoiding a similar situation in the future.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones