1A car charger can't keep up with draw?Accessories

Last Updated:

1. ninjakyle

ninjakyle Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

So, first long road trip on the DI. Bought a nice 5V 1A car charger and kept it plugged in using GPS and Pandora. Battery depleted as I drove.

Is that normal?

Advertisement
  2. armoredsaint

armoredsaint Well-Known Member

are you sure your cig lighter was working?

3. fortesquieu

fortesquieu Well-Known Member

Which one did you get? I bought a cheapo off amazon (rated 1A too), it didnt draw enough power for me to stream online music.
    I returned that cheapo and got a more exp one, a better brand, it works very well now.

4. Gearyt

Gearyt New Member

Last week for four days I was using an inverter with the oem wall charger. Using either iheartradio or Pandora along with My Tracks the battery would drop to 10% over about 8 hours. Thought it was just me.

5. upther

upther Well-Known Member

I've got a Lenmar that works great. It was a throw in to the battery extender I got for my Archos 605WiFi. I drove around yesterday listening to Last.FM and the battery went from 67% to 72% in about an hour. Was very happy with that. Haven't tried it with the GPS yet and that's the real battery hog.

6. nubbard

nubbard Member

I had a bit of a different experience. I used the cable that came with the phone and plugged it in to a cigarette adapter that came with a cheap iPod bundle that I bought on Amazon a while ago. The battery would charge for a while (I was using Google Navigation). I use a battery monitoring app that puts the percentage in the notification bar, and it informed me that the battery was over-heating (~120 degrees Fahrenheit I believe). It would then refuse to charge the battery further. I'm not sure if the app wouldn't let it charge, or if it was an Android safe-guard (I'm guessing Android). Regardless, I have a dedicated car charger on the way in hopes of avoiding a similar situation in the future.

7. ninjakyle

ninjakyle Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I forget the brand but it was $15 at target and has two usb jacks - switched to the other usb jack and it charges fine. I guess the one half was defective