• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [1st Gen] Rooting questions

keithalw

Lurker
Mar 1, 2013
I am wanting to root my kindle fire. I am kind of new to this aspect of technology and have a few questions about what I have read so far. I see that there is a first and second gen fires so how do I tell which one I have?

Also I am running 10.2.6 on the fire so I looked and couldnt find that anyone rooted it with that version... so me either not seeing it or overlooking it is it still possible to root?

Main reason I want to root is to get the google playstore and widgets. I know for widgets I am going to have to root but for google playstore will I have to root or can I sideload and if so where would I do that at ??

Thanks a lot for any info that can be given and sorry if there are other posts out there like mine but couldnt find out if the version really mattered

You don't HAVE to root to get widget. Install 1mobile's marketplace app (It's not Google Play but is like google play, and is handy if for whatever reason you are not able to root your device) Over 300,000 free android apps direct downloads you'll have to allow apps from 3rd party or other sources in your kindle's settings.

Once you have this marketplace app installed, go install GO Launcher EX app.
That will allow you to use a launcher other than amazon's own, which looks more like a tablet and allows widgets.

Unfortunately without rooting you can't put Google Play on your kindle (amazon will not allow you to register your device if you side load the app) and you have the 2nd gen version, not sure if anyone has rooted it or not yet though I would be surprised if they haven't

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones