1st time root

Last Updated:

1. chawski

chawski Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Hey guys, I am getting a replacement hero in the next few days and wanted to ask a few questions. Assuming the new one comes wtih 1.5, if I do root, if for any reason i need to go to the official 2.1 for any warranty issues, is that an option to go from a custom rom to official 2.1? On the topics of rooting, what seems to be the prefered ROM to use and would someone mind taking a few minutes walking me through the process if i come across any hiccups?

Advertisement
  2. tatonka_Hero

tatonka_Hero Well-Known Member

IF it has 1.5, then it should be very easy to go from a custom rom to the official 2.1, just by running the RUU program to get back to stock 1.5 and then doing the update (might not even have to RUU back to 1.5 since the update's OTW, but I'm pretty sure you do).

As for the preferred ROM, that's entirely up to you. Find one you like, with bugs you can live with (they've all got their different little bugs, but most are very minor), and start from there. Most people are either using DamageControl 2.08.1, or Fresh 2.x (whatever number Fresh is on now lol).

ROM's are completely personal preference. Some are already themed and a lot of people like that, others look stock but have other things working (like friendstream), and still others are pretty much just optimized versions of the official (or leaked) 2.1, and look and act completely stock (but you can them and customize them yourself).

If you run into a hiccup during the rooting process, then go back and read the guide again to see if you can figure out where you went wrong (likely just a typo, happens to all of us), and try again. If you can't figure it out, then ask here, and someone will help.

3. chawski

Ive been looking at Fresh 2.1.2 on geek for me. From reading everything, it looks pretty good. Is the general consensus that its a good platform? Are there any things I should know before giving it a try?

4. Naz927

Naz927 Well-Known Member

I've been using the latest Fresh 2.1.2, longtime Fresh user here since 1.5, and so far so good, IMHO I would say 2.1.2 runs the fastest based on what I've used. I started with with Fresh 2.0c, went to DamageControl for a while and ultimately wound back up with Fresh 2.1.2. It is missing a couple things that I did like, for instance the 3d gallery and friendstream like DC had, but again, not dealbreakers. I'm thingking about flashing Aloysius tonight just to try it and see what I think.

5. chawski

cool i think ill give fresh 2.1.2 a shot and see how it works. I figure at the end of the day, worst case scenario is a go flash back to stock. if for any reason i need to go back to stock or 2.1, its a simple re-flash?

6. 330D

330D From My Cold Dead Hands VIP Member

You use the nandroid backup you make BEFORE you flash anything to get it back to what it was. Easy as pie.

And even if it comes with 2.1, it has been rooted. You will be able to root it, no matter what....