2.0.1 / Former Alltel Customers

Last Updated:

1. TheSchneidster

TheSchneidster Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I know the 2.0.1 update is till being pushed out (and I'm too chicken to install it manually) but I was wondering ...

Have any former Alltel customers received the 2.0.1 update automatically for their Droid?

A couple of things have me wondering ...

From what I've read on different posts and such, former Alltel customers (like myself) don't have the Verizon branding on their lock-screens. Furthermore, When I look at my Status menu, "Network" is listed as "unkown" (again this is symptomatic of former Alltel customers who upgraded to Droids)

Which leads me to wonder ...

Will the OTA update get pushed to my fringe phone are will I need to update it manually?

If I can get some confirmation (your word will do) that former Alltel customers have received the OTA update, I'll patiently wait some more until I get mine.

I don't think I can wait after the 11th, though.

So, former Alltel peeps: have you got 2.0.1 automatically yet?

Or have you been patiently twiddling your droids, like me? :)

Advertisement
  2. colnago

colnago Well-Known Member

I think its based on hardware more so than "network". If that was the case, the people with the "Milestone" would not get the updates, as they are free to choose their provider (non-Verizon).

3. jestexman

jestexman Well-Known Member

You started the thread i wanted to. I have all of the same concerns you do. I have downloaded the manual update file. I think i will way until after the 11th and if i don't get the OTA update i will be forced to update on my own. I do think that this is a hardware update but who really knows unless some one can confirm they have got the OTA update while being on a alltel plan.

4. Tabs

Tabs Well-Known Member

Would definitely be nice to know if we do in fact get OTA updates - I jumped the gun though and installed it manually last night. No VZW network name on the new lock screen either.

I'm sure that all has to do with the network being "Unknown". What irks me about it though is apparently a true VZW Droid will tell you on that screen when you're out of network, roaming etc - I've never seen mine do that, it's always blank. What I think all of this means is that our phones only talk to what were formerly Alltel towers as their primary network and not the actual VZW ones. My PRL is 30050, and that's none of the numbers I've seen mentioned for true VZW Droids.

This is really stupid if we can't actually use the much vaunted VZW network even though we're writing a check every month to VZW.

There's also no Visual Voicemail support for us - I was told by a VZW CS rep that they're not sure this will ever be available without switching to a VZW plan and number.

Where are you guys located btw? I'm in Scottsdale, AZ.

5. jestexman

I am SE of Dallas Tx.

Athens, Tyler area.

I have the same PRL you do 30050.

6. Tabs

Tabs Well-Known Member

Yeah, I think the key is trying to get our accounts reprogrammed with the actual VZW PRL - 30050 makes the phone prefer Alltel towers. I actualy just checked this, my roommate has true VZW (not a Droid) and his signal strength is full in the house, mine goes between 1 and 2 bars here. Supports the idea that we're on different towers.

I may head down to the VZW store in a bit and see what they say about all of this.

7. jestexman

I would not bother i was told yesterday until i change to a VZW plan i could not get the VZW prl. I guess i literary get what i pay for.

8. Tabs

Tabs Well-Known Member

Yeah it's really ridiculous, I'd have to move to a 900 minute $119.99/month voice plan to get My Circle/Friends & Family and texting when I have the same thing on a 700 minute plan for $49.99 + $29.99 data addon with the Alltel plans. I barely even use 200 minutes a month because of the My Circle, but VZW doesn't even offer it on any plan below 900 minutes, so effectively it's like you're still paying for those calls even though they're "free" since you're forced to buy so many minutes.

9. TheSchneidster

I'm in Goodyear, AZ and still haven't received the update :mad:

I hope it comes this weekend!

10. TheSchneidster

Just got the update! SWEET!

No Verizon on the new lock screen (which I like)

I'm kinda glad I waited!

11. twjonesjr

twjonesjr Member

I'm in Athens, GA and also a former Alltel customer. My PRL is 40058 and I also am still on the Alltel my circle plan with my family. Not sure what the my PRL means compared to yall's since they were different.

Before this thread I had no idea there was a VZW icon on the lock screen

12. Crazy Doc

Crazy Doc Member

Omaha, NE just got it

13. jestexman

Se TX Athens area and I still don't have it. But i am very happy to that someone with a alltel plan got it.

14. AZDroid

AZDroid Well-Known Member

Phoenix area Alltell customer here, got the update on my Droid, will check my son's when he wakes up.

15. jestexman

Ok so i got the update this morning and it FAILED!! So i tried the manual update and it FAILED!

I guess thats what i get for waiting. I called VZW and long story short they are sending out a new phone. 31 days after i got the stupid thing so she said it will probably be a refurb.
    I think i am kinda upset now.