2.1 -> 2.2, workarounds for Titanium "system data" restore?

Last Updated:

1. sremick

sremick Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Ok, so let's say you want to get 2.2 on your phone by using one of the various hacked 2.2 ROMs. Common knowledge is that when you do your Titanium Backup restore, you do not select "system data" else you will have problems.

Very well... but what are the alternatives for getting this system data converted?

Some specific questions:

1) I know contacts, SMS and saved wifi APs are part of this "system data". What else that one might care about?

2) Is doing an export to VCF and then import sufficient to get your phone contacts back? Is this restore perfect? Or is anything lost? Images, groups, all data fields, etc? Please don't suggest syncing to Gmail... I've experimented with this and cannot get it to work in a way I like.

3) Any separate way to backup and restore saved wifi APs? I have a ton of saved passwords that I don't remember and it would be a pain to track down the person who knows again.

4) Are any of the individual "system data" elements actually ok to back up in 2.1 and then restore in 2.2, alleviating this problem? Contacts? Wifi APs?

Advertisement
  2. calsax

calsax Active Member

I have flashed Cognition onto my phone every couple of days, to keep up with the changes, and haven't lost any of the system data you mention. I use the standard Titanium "Back up all user apps + system data" and "Restore all apps with data" batch backup/restore scripts for my apps. My contacts, Wifi passwords, etc, have always been restored, and I haven't encountered any issues with the system.

As always, here is the YMMV caveat.......:D

3. sremick

Well the issue isn't going from 2.2 -> 2.2, but the first 2.1 -> 2.2. As long as you're restoring to the same ROM/system, you can restore system data fine.

What I'm trying to figure out is the best way to preserve some parts of "system data" (namely, contacts and wifi APs) over the 2.1 -> 2.2 hump.

4. calsax

calsax Active Member

My initial flash from stock to 2.2 might have wiped out the Wifi stuff, I honestly can't remember since I only access two Wifis on a regular basis, home and work. I know the contacts survived, because I have a boatload of them, and would have cried for days trying to get them all back in. I already struggled through that once, going from my old WinMo to Android. Good luck!

5. NorCal Einstein

NorCal Einstein Well-Known Member

I honestly think this requires some expertise from people over at XDA.

I imagine info like wifi AP are going to be stored at the root level (If you have Root Explorer, you could dig around and probably find file locations. I quickly looked on my phone and spotted some potential locations). Ideally, you might be able to find the file in 2.1, save it off, and overwrite the 2.2 version. I would be worried about differences in the 2 different data files (the way they are structured for instance), this could cause FCs and you'll be back at square one.

Now if you were to manually port over your contacts & wifi settings from 2.1 to 2.2, knowing the location of the files in 2.2 would be a benefit to you since then you could quickly restore those files when going from various versions of 2.2

Sorry I couldn't be more help.

6. sremick

Is there a way to reveal the stored passwords of saved wifi APs? This might be a suitable workaround, but when I went in to edit an AP it wouldn't show the existing password, only allowed me to change it.