• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

2.1 - .6 Great results!

chawski

Android Enthusiast
May 19, 2010
I know theres already a thread about the OTA update, but it seems to be only concentrated to the root loss, and since im getting a replacement hero in the next few days, I figured id bite the bullet and give it a shot.

So far, cant seem to find any cons about it yet. BT connection to my headset and car work as they did on 1.5. The text lag seems to have been fixed (im not even a fast texter and i was out-typing it by atleast one word on the orig 2.1). Sprint Navigation is now back on my phone. Pinch to zoom to see all 7 screens actually works now, as opposed to taking atleast 3 trys to get it to recognize it previously. Since i originally updated to 2.1, i never thought id say this, but the phone actually works now... well enough that when i get the replacement, i might go ahead and do it (assuming it keeps working like this, i have no reason to root)

I just did the update a few minutes ago, so ill try to run the hell outa my phone for the rest of the night and see how it holds up, but as of now, its as good/better than it was at 1.5

This is the type of information I was looking for about the OTA update. We really should make a collective list of the observed improvements after the update has been applied.

It sounds like this OTA update actually had a few fixes thrown in on top of the root exploit fix. Has anyone else seen the same improvements that were mentioned in the original post?

Upvote 0
I think the best way to say this update works well is like this...

I have a warranty replacement in the mail right now bc sprint customer service thinks my problems with 2.1 (btw, the same that EVERYONE has been posting on here) is hardware related. Assuming my current phone continues to work as it is now, i very likely will just send the replacement back to sprint as a "thanks but no thanks". I dont mean to sound like a pitchman for sprint, but the phone works great now

Upvote 0
I just did the update today. Calling out is way better than on the original 2.1. It's still not instantaneous, but the delay is more on the order of 2-3 seconds as opposed to 30 seconds to 2 minutes.

The People app on my Hero loads much faster as well. Other than that, not much I've noticed - still loving the 2.1 update, in my book, a huge improvement over 1.5.

jd

Upvote 0
There's an OTA update?? I never got a notification at all yesterday... oh well. I'll probably just tell my mom when she gets my Hero (shipping it to her, aren't I the best? LOL) to do an update. Who knows, maybe after I do a factory reset and get her the phone, the update (once it's re-activated) will show itself as down loadable.

Upvote 0
I have not updated incase I decide I want to root, but I find it hard to believe they would release an update and not mention the items fixed, so I do believe it is mainly a security breech issued that was fixed and a loop hole closed for rooting. I really believe that the experts would have chimed in other forums if the they had fixed any other items, JMO and you would also see a lot more post here in this thread with Hero owners ranting and raving of some of there issues fixed, but I have been wrong before we will just follow this thread and see what others say!!

Upvote 0
I have animated weather now, kind of cool. Didn't have it before the OTA, seems odd someone would actually post they don't believe what people have said THAT HAVE DONE THE OTA, no reason for any of us to lie. It was NOT just a security update, and it was from HTC, so who knows why Sprint did not post the enhancements. For sure we have Sprint Nav again at a minimum, and no mention of that from official channels either. So for the doubters go stick your phone where your head already is.

Upvote 0
I kept the .5 and did not go with the .6 update for 2.1 because I went ahead and rooted my phone and removed the unneccesary Sprint applications; with keeping the .5 I have noticed that the issues mentioned by other Hero users in this thread are not the case w/ my phone.

I obtained mine on 06/04 and I have always had animated weather, my phone has not had any lag with calls, and texting is a breeze. (I'm using the app that came w/ the phone, not Handcent) ... so could it be that even newer models may have had these issues worked out already? Just a thought...

Upvote 0
I went ahead and did the OTA as I have the RUU saved on my computer so I can reflash it if I ever want to root. I think I see a little difference with the landscape lag but it might just be wishful thinking. I throw gibberish at it just to see how fast I can punch letters but never see any lag. I admit I didn,t try that before the OTA. If you don,t plan on rooting go ahead and get the OTA just for the security if nothing else.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones