• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

2.1 - .6 Great results!

I went ahead and did the OTA as I have the RUU saved on my computer so I can reflash it if I ever want to root. I think I see a little difference with the landscape lag but it might just be wishful thinking. I throw gibberish at it just to see how fast I can punch letters but never see any lag. I admit I didn,t try that before the OTA. If you don,t plan on rooting go ahead and get the OTA just for the security if nothing else.

Is it possible to apply the RUU after installing 2.1?

Upvote 0
Is it possible to apply the RUU after installing 2.1?

I don't see why not. It wipes the phone and installs the "official" 2.1 update. I,ll just install this again and it wipes the phone installs 2.1 before the OTA and I can root if I want to.
The file is already saved on your comp. If you have it saved just don't delete it and you can reinstall the 2.1 update that you can root.

At least this is how I hope it works. :rolleyes:

Upvote 0
I don't see why not. It wipes the phone and installs the "official" 2.1 update. I,ll just install this again and it wipes the phone installs 2.1 before the OTA and I can root if I want to.
The file is already saved on your comp. If you have it saved just don't delete it and you can reinstall the 2.1 update that you can root.

At least this is how I hope it works. :rolleyes:
So do it...and let us all know how it works! :) You'll be a, ahem... "Hero" ;)

Upvote 0
Is .6 only avalable after 2.1 update? I checked my phone but don't find it. I plan to update to 2.1 this weekend. Will the 2.1 now on the HTCor Sprint site have .6 incorporated into it?

yes, it's only for 2.1.

Don't know if it has been rolled in, I would doubt it. In any case, just install 2.1 and then the Hero will tell you if there is a further update, or you can check manually in Settings.

Upvote 0
I find it VERY hard to believe Sprint would include fixes in the 0.6 update and not advertise them or even mention them in the release notes.

I'm 99% sure that it does nothing other than closing the door on the root-enabling exploit. Anyone who's seeing other fixes or performance improvements due to the change from 2.1X to this one is probably seeing it because their update from 1.5 to 2.1 didn't go quite right or because they originally did it form a root situation or something...

Upvote 0
I find it VERY hard to believe Sprint would include fixes in the 0.6 update and not advertise them or even mention them in the release notes.

I'm 99% sure that it does nothing other than closing the door on the root-enabling exploit. Anyone who's seeing other fixes or performance improvements due to the change from 2.1X to this one is probably seeing it because their update from 1.5 to 2.1 didn't go quite right or because they originally did it form a root situation or something...

I agree with this.

Upvote 0

From what I've read it is a 3.5-ish mb file correct?

That is an awfully large file for just patching a loop hole.

Upvote 0
I got my phone a little less than a month ago. It came preloaded with 1.5. I called in to Sprint for something and the tech helped me flash the phone myself with a software, not a firmware upgrade. Anyhow, I have had animated weather (such as a windshield wiper clearing away rain drops) as long as I can recall. I actually don't remember if the weather was animated before the upgrade or not. At any rate, I am pleased with the 1.5. No real lags anywhere except for an occasional weather update.

After reading about so many issues with the 2.1, I think I'll stay where I am and wait for some sort of OTA to happen that has worked most of the bugs. I think that a lot of times, consumers are used as guinea pigs to test out things in the real world and then give the developers back at the shop a reason to prove themselves. It works that way in the IT world. Oracle continually releases database versions that aren't ready for prime time. That's why they have a site to report bugs and find patches.

Upvote 0
I got my phone a little less than a month ago. It came preloaded with 1.5. I called in to Sprint for something and the tech helped me flash the phone myself with a software, not a firmware upgrade. Anyhow, I have had animated weather (such as a windshield wiper clearing away rain drops) as long as I can recall. I actually don't remember if the weather was animated before the upgrade or not. At any rate, I am pleased with the 1.5. No real lags anywhere except for an occasional weather update.

After reading about so many issues with the 2.1, I think I'll stay where I am and wait for some sort of OTA to happen that has worked most of the bugs. I think that a lot of times, consumers are used as guinea pigs to test out things in the real world and then give the developers back at the shop a reason to prove themselves. It works that way in the IT world. Oracle continually releases database versions that aren't ready for prime time. That's why they have a site to report bugs and find patches.

I really would recommend doing the 2.1 update if you;re still running 1.5. My Hero came out of the box with 2.1 and it ran great (minus the usual lag here and there caused by a slow cpu). The OTA update did seem to make texting and keyboard pop faster, so if you don't plan on rooting I suggest doing that also.

I have decided to root my phone, but prior tot hat my 2.1 with the OTA worked really well, and if it wasn't for wanting lwp I would not have rooted it at all.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones