• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

2.1 and Call Quality

I have not had any sound quality issues, and I'm sorry for those who had. My last phone was the LG Dare, and while some people had all the luck in the world w/ theirs (like my g/f who currently has had her same one for a year and a half), I had 3 in a year's time. I was in need of a fourth, but I tolerated it long enough till the Droid came out. So I feel your pain, and know the frustration.

I do have a question, though. On two separate occasions while in the middle of a conversation, I could hear the person, but they could not hear me. Hanging up and calling them back seemed to do the trick. Anyone else have a problem like that?

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
YankeeDudeL: Unintentional muting is a problem that is referred to in several threads on this site and is the subject of at least two threads on the Motorola support site.

https://supportforums.motorola.com/thread/17080?start=15&tstart=0

and

https://supportforums.motorola.com/thread/19258

I had the problem regularly on my first two Droids. The first thread I listed looks to have a reasonable idea by FireFox31 toward the end of the thread. Good luck.

Good call, thank you for pointing me in the right direction! I do think that the culprit is the "add call" feature. I'll check that tomorrow, to make sure. Seems I'm always hitting buttons I don't want to the phone's unlocked.

Upvote 0
did you guys ever stop to think maybe it's your area? maybe it's not the droid itself, which would explain the randomness as far as who has it and who doesn't. it sounds better than my storm does from here so idk what to tell you guys. if you have replaced 3 phones, maybe it's time to look into other possible culprits. check w/ other droid owners in your area and see what they say.
I think its the phone to, i have had many verizon phones in the same location, never had call quality issues till this phone, i love this phone, but like others im repeating myself constantly and when im talking to my brother on his droid, its terrible both ways.

Upvote 0
I'll chime in here: I haven't had any call quality issues with my droid. My wife is on her third LG Dare - the first died an untimely death due to a dead power button (lasted until she forgot to plug it into the charger; no way to get it to turn back on). The second one was turned in a week after she got it, because the mic was bad, would sometimes cut in and out, and generated static sounds. The third one has been fine.

As for the droid, if it's an occasional hardware issue, I expect it'll get worked out simply by the bad ones getting returned. If it's software, I'd expect more users to be having the problem.

Yes - there are a lot of users reporting the problem, but it's likely a drop-in-the-bucket compared to the total number of happy droid owners (like myself and many others in this thread). So I can certainly understand why some people are assuming it's the tower, or a hand, hair, etc.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones