2.1 and HTC SyncGeneral

Last Updated:

1. Jethro

Jethro Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

So I'm waiting with everyone else for the pending upgrade to 2.1. But I've heard it wipes all of your internal memory to install. This is a bummer (like reinstalling everything after a hard-drive reformat).

But all of my contacts and calendar items are synced with Outlook 2007 on my computer. I think it gets everything, as I even see some of the photos in Outlook that are attached to my contacts on the phone. And I just synced tonight, so everything is good and up-to-date.

So does anyone have experience syncing an HTC phone running 2.1 with Outlook using the HTC Sync software? Is this going to work, or will they have to come out with an update for the software?

THANKS!

Advertisement
  2. bjf88

bjf88 Well-Known Member

It should already be supported since the Incredible is also HTC and is on 2.1. No worries.

Contacts and calenders are safe with Google, photos are safe on your SD card. The only thing it will really wipe is the way you have you phone set up. And your apps most likely. Although I thought I read something from the guy in the other thread who got it that his apps were still there. I wonder if he meant in the market under My Downloads?

3. Jethro

OK, so it's been tried and is working with the Incredible? This is encouraging news, though they are still different phones.

I don't sync anything with Google really (hardly use Gmail, and don't keep any contacts/calendar items there). I use Outlook on my PC for all of this.

And what about all of my text messages in Chomp SMS???

4. bjf88

bjf88 Well-Known Member

I am not quoting any facts, just speculating. But I'm sure if HTC Sync isn't up to date for 2.1, it will be ASAP because of the OTA.

I hardly use Gmail either, but I did use my account to sync my contacts when I first got the phone as well as to use as a backup. Google is the phone's main syncing source. But if you prefer Outlook, more power to you. It just seems like it would be a little more complicated.

Texts will be deleted unless you have them backed up using an app like SMS backup or others like it.

5. kevicrazyknight128

kevicrazyknight128 New Member

I used sync last night i have 2.1V3 and it worked just fine. So im assuming that it will be fine and work after the update.

6. Mer2112

Mer2112 Well-Known Member

HTC Sync won't work with my phone after the OTA update.

7. Jethro

Hmm. So Mer2112, was your HTC Sync working fine before the update? Are you running v. 2.0.33?

I'm kind of banking on using HTC Sync to restore my contacts, as none of my contacts are Google contacts, so using Google is not an option.

I'm also considering using MyBackup Pro. I just worry about the 'sync' being broken with Outlook if I restore this way. I don't want to end up with a bunch of duplicate contacts or something.

8. Mer2112

Yes, it was working fine and I was running 2.0.33. It synced once after the update but now it won't recognize the Eris.

9. Jethro

Hmmm. OK. So you did get one sync and your contacts are back on your phone at least? Keep us informed if there are any developments and you get it to work (updates from HTC, any other things tried).

Does the phone even recognize HTC Sync (or vice-versa) and just fail at the actual syncing process? Or do they not even recognize each other any more?

Can you list your system setup (operating system, Outlook version).

10. Mer2112

All right, after reading your question and replying I decided to go back and mess around again. I uninstalled the HTC driver and sync using the add remove programs feature in the control panel. (Windows XP). I reinstalled the sync software, plugged in my phone and it worked again! What exactly happened I'm not sure but it's syncing again.

11. Mer2112

Also, I never lost my contacts when I did the upgrade. Everything was still there.

12. Tarheel_Rambler

Tarheel_Rambler Well-Known Member

The update does not touch anything on the SD card. The only "wiping" that takes place is account registration information that must be reentered. Even those apps that install to the SD card remain.

The Google contact information will reload within a short period of time. Anything from Outlook will restore when you perform your sync, so you should be golden.

13. Jethro

OK, good news. I just synced with Outlook so I should be fairly safe. Just wanted to make sure the application was still working with 2.1.

I think a lot of people are just hearing "your contacts will automatically restore", or "just enable sync in the Google settings area". But they never explain the difference (or don't know) between Google contacts and Phone contacts. And ALL of my contacts are Phone contacts, so I would have lost them all. And any time I've entered a new contact, I've never seen the option to make it a "Google contact". So it's definitely not an obvious thing!

14. Demache

Demache Well-Known Member

In 1.5, it isn't up front about making it a Google contact. Its on the add contact screen though, right below the name and contact picture. In 2.1, it will prompt you whether or not you want to make it a Google contact or phone contact before you can enter the information. So its harder to miss in 2.1. But that's not your problem.