2.1 Battery life went down the crapper.General

Last Updated:

1. andrewzpsu

andrewzpsu Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

My battery life went to shit switching to 2.1

Took it off the charger this morning at 8:10 and by 11:05 it was at 78% without doing anything. My awake time just keeps going up and I can't seem to end the task that would be causing it to stay awake.

Any ideas?

EDIT: Battery Widget that was ok on 1.5 stuck me in awake time in 2.1 - so watch your apps!

EDIT2: It appears that whenever the phone charges over night that something could glitch and it will not sleep anymore without a reboot. Or possibly an app runs that will not let it sleep without a reboot. Not sure which.

EDIT3: After systematically restoring and running applications it looks like a culprit on my phone is the google nav itself. After installing the addon that is needed to run it, and actually using it, my phone has not slept.

Advertisement
    pandalee likes this.
  2. Frisco

Frisco =Luceat Lux Vestra= VIP Member

I have an idea; how about PMing a moderator to change your disgusting topic title.

You might also edit your post to remove the immature, base language, "s***."

3. Phases

Phases Community Manager Administrator

Frisco, that's hardly helpful.

Andrew, fear not - I'll change that title for ya.

I'm always here to help!

Everyone: Keep future replies on topic and polite.

m4rk likes this.
  4. AwesomeIT

AwesomeIT Well-Known Member

Settings -> Accounts & Sync -> Google -> disable contacts and calendar.

If you want, only disable Calendar and see what kind of battery life you get. Sync everything before you disable anything. I noticed a difference when I turned Calendar off. Others have said that the Calendar sync fails to sync and tries over and over draining battery. I can't verify this, however.

You can always go into Settings and sync it every few days manually.

pandalee likes this.
  5. andrewzpsu

Thank you, I had auto update disabled before so I don't think that was the problem. When I go into the google settings without auto update enabled it just gives me the option to sync. And since I don't use google mail I really don't care.

I only installed a few apps, so I'm going to try to go through them to see what I can find. But I use task manager to close everything (including the task manager) so I'm not sure why an app would still be running.

Alas, I guess I did expect a bug, was hoping it wouldn't send my battery down the "crapper" lol

6. Jrocker23

Jrocker23 Well-Known Member

I followed as many of the tips from the 1.5 version when I upgraded to 2.1 and my battery seems to be running better than before.

If you havent done so, try going into men/settings/applications/running services and see whats running...

Hope it helps

andrewzpsu likes this.
  7. LexusBrian400

LexusBrian400 Well-Known Member

Is disabling backround data generally advised or not a good thing?

8. OfTheDamned

OfTheDamned The Friendly Undead VIP Member

It all depends. If you aren't running anything that requires background data then it is no big deal. If you need it, then that is a different story.

9. andrewzpsu

It has three services running that mostly match the awake time. Battery Widget (removing now). Google Talk Service, ObexService, and Touch Input.

10. andrewzpsu

It looks like it may have been my battery widget. That was the only app that I stopped and removed and my awake time has stopped now. The same widget was not a problem on 1.5 which confuses me, but I can of course live without it =)

Thanks for the help, Jrocker!

11. varkie

varkie Well-Known Member

I think Thomas P. Crapper would take offense to you thinking his name is disgusting. Toilets were named after him and has nothing to do with feces it is a guys name. Lets send the moral minority back to where ever it is they came from in my opinion.

Thomas Crapper - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

12. andrewzpsu

Actually I said "went to shit"... Crapper just got crapped on because of the title change lol

13. Podivin

Podivin VIP Member VIP Member

Which battery widget were you using?

14. Ciggy

Ciggy Well-Known Member

I had this same problem when moving to 2.1. The program keeping my phone away was the default messaging application. I disabled it and installed chomp. No more problems :D Dont use handcent it has many bugs in 2.1

15. andrewzpsu

I'm pretty sure it was "Battery Widget"

16. Podivin

Podivin VIP Member VIP Member

17. buff12db

buff12db Well-Known Member

Uninstalling battery widget drastically reduced my awake time. Kind of sucks that it was such a drain on battery because I liked seeing a percentage of battery left as opposed to just the bar.

Is chomp in the 2.1 market? I searched and can't find it. Handcent has been giving me all sorts of trouble since the update.

18. andrewzpsu

The HTC SMS message seems to be working fine for me - worked fine on 1.5 for me too. I actually tested that and my the HTC mail app to make sure they weren't part of my awake time problem. But just because they aren't for me, doesn't mean they aren't for you.

19. Frisco

Frisco =Luceat Lux Vestra= VIP Member

The topic title was changed by an admin here.

20. Ciggy

Ciggy Well-Known Member

Nope I had to get chomp off of their website. Only took about 3 minutes to do the install.

21. pandalee

pandalee Well-Known Member

I added the sync now widget after turning off the calender sync. Is this related to my google accounts? If I use it, will I be able to sync my contacts and calender without going into settings?

22. pandalee

Which battery widget are you using? This could be part of my problem as well. I'm using Battery Widget from mippin.com

EDIT: oops, just realized you already answered that question. I'll try removing. I agree, a shame, I like the percentages.

23. LexusBrian400

LexusBrian400 Well-Known Member

Search for [Spare Parts] app. It has an excellent battery meter with %'s

24. eghill1125

eghill1125 Well-Known Member

I am using Battery Widget from MPippen also and I am not even seeing it listed anywhere on spare parts. I am showing 7+ hours since unplug on my phone with about 35 + texts, 1/2 dozen market visits, a few browser web sites, Twitter , and many times in and out of the settings and I am showing 65% on my battery right now. The only thing I have showing in Spare parts with a bit of usage is Android system ( Some ) Dialer ( Some ) and Media ( Whole bar ) and then a lot of others with nothing as far as bars.

Where would the battery widget show on spare parts? I looked at all the usage tabs...

25. pandalee

I think he was suggesting to use spare parts to monitor your battery rather than a battery widget.