2.1 Color downgraded to 16-bit???

Last Updated:

1. dodger55fan

dodger55fan Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Just read an article on droid-life about the color (in the gallery) being downgraded from 24-bit on 2.0.1 to only 16-bit on 2.1, this upsets me.

Advertisement
  2. messenger13

messenger13 Well-Known Member

"Only 16-bit" ... in other words, 65536 colors. :eek: The fact that you had to read about it and didn't detect it with your eyes might be significant here. I'm not sure we need 16,777,216 colors. Just sayin'...

One of these images is 8-bit, and one is 24-bit. Hhmmn...

[​IMG][​IMG]

3. potatolover1102

potatolover1102 Well-Known Member

I think 24 on the left and 8 on the right. The one on the right might be 24 but it is washed out and pixelated.

4. potatolover1102

potatolover1102 Well-Known Member

I think 24 on the left and 8 on the right. The one on the right might be 24 but it is washed out and pixelated. Also I agree with the Op. It is not that 16 bit is so sub-par but the fact is why are they ever downgrading anything? I mean if we can do 24 why use 16. That is like saying you can have a large or medium sized drink for the same price and then you purposefully pick the medium.

Edit: Sorry for the double post.

5. wsbsteven

wsbsteven Well-Known Member

6. dodger55fan

dodger55fan Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Exactly, I mean I can't see any difference between those two pictures unless I try really hard, and even then I can't decide which one I like better ... but what's the reasoning for decreasing our color-scale?

And maybe it doesn't matter for our phones, but I know when playing video games on my PC many times the game needs to meet a certain color requirement to run smoothly, so obviously it could have the potential to affect our phones (although in this case it doesn't).

In the article, it compared it to Nexus One's lower-rated screen, and I would presume this is alluding to the possibility that maybe Google did this to us on purpose and are showing favoritism to the Nexus One over the Droid and other phones...

7. gotwillk

gotwillk Well-Known Member

i noticed the DISPLAYING of pics on the PHONE with the 2.1 gallery is definitely of lower quality. but as for taking those pics and putting it on the pc, the quality is as it should be. at least its just gallery and not the whole phone. they probably had to downgrade it so that we can do the quick swiping motion back and forth. kinda sucks though because i like taking and viewing high quality pics, regardless if its on the phone's screen or not. this has bugged me since day 1 of the 2.1 gallery. also, if you view pics through the camera app, the pics are in high quality, the way its supposed to be.

8. messenger13

messenger13 Well-Known Member

Processing speed. :)

9. SinfulDragon

SinfulDragon Well-Known Member

Joe is spot on, the less colors that the CPU has to work with the faster it can render the picture, the smoother the swipe to change pic will go etc etc.
    I for one am on the same page, if you have to read about it instead of seeing an obvious difference.... then give me less colors and more speed baby!!!!

10. sooper_droid12

sooper_droid12 Well-Known Member

The Gallery isn't even a Google app. It was developed and made by CoolIris. It's my opinion that Google did that just in case goes after them for pinching and swiping in the gallery. It reduces their liability for that app. If you have issue with it, take it up with CoolIris.