• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.
after all the hype and the drama over 2.1 its finally here and yeah its smoother to use and nicer to look at but has it really had an impact on the phone?

The reason i wanted it was for apps2sd which i have now found is not supported until 2.2 (gutted) as anyone found a way around this issue?

because the internal phone memory is lame!

So how do you root the gt540 on 2.1 the Enable Root Permission , appears to be missing, and it was their on 1.6

- Turn on the device and click the icon to open the phone dialler
- Enter the code '3845#*540#'
- Select the option 'Module Test', then 'Stability Test' then 'Enable Root Permission'
- You will now be prompted for a password - enter :SWIFT::GT540:
- A toast message will briefly appear saying 'OK' - your root access is now enabled!
- Reboot your device, and now when you connect via ADB, you'll see you have a root prompt (#).

Upvote 0
Yes. Root it, install Apps2SD, Bob's your uncle.

so have you managed to root the 2.1 rom? because i know androot it ineffective well it is when ive tried!

So how do you root the gt540 on 2.1 the Enable Root Permission , appears to be missing, and it was their on 1.6

- Turn on the device and click the icon to open the phone dialler
- Enter the code '3845#*540#'
- Select the option 'Module Test', then 'Stability Test' then 'Enable Root Permission'
- You will now be prompted for a password - enter :SWIFT::GT540:
- A toast message will briefly appear saying 'OK' - your root access is now enabled!
- Reboot your device, and now when you connect via ADB, you'll see you have a root prompt (#).

yeah mines the same i go through all that and its not there however mine was previously a carphone warehouse 1.6 rom and it wasnt on that either? maybe its same situatiion with the 2.1 (obvs its not from carphone warehouse tho!)

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
I ran apptosd after rooting the gt540 , apptosd says my sd card needs partitioning , so i split it 50/50, and press apply , apptosd says done and reboots my gt540 , but when i run apptosd again it still says my sd card needs partitioning :thinking:

scratch the last post, i headed over to modaco:

Root LG GT540 with 1 click running 2.1 OS - Android @ MoDaCo

and had a quick flick through and ive now rooted perfectly so im just sorting out my SD card and will have app2sd up and running in no time:)

thanks guys

Upvote 0
I ran apptosd after rooting the gt540 , apptosd says my sd card needs partitioning , so i split it 50/50, and press apply , apptosd says done and reboots my gt540 , but when i run apptosd again it still says my sd card needs partitioning :thinking:

sorry to hear you having trouble...a guy from modaco called joestone posted the following on the same forum ive put above..

"App2sd copies all application from the device to the sd card. I use 3GB for apps, but 750 MB should be enogh.To get app2sd working you have to download gscript from market.You have to download mini partition tool home edition from here :
http://www.partitionwizard.com/free-partition-manager.html
You need a card reader connected to your pc.
Put the sd card to the reader .
Start the mini partition tool.
Resize the fat partition from the end and leave for example 750MB free after the fat.
apply changes
create an ext2 fs on the free space .
apply changes
eject the card from windows.
put back the sd to the phone.
start gscript on the phone
pressing the menu on your gt540 list a possibility to load script.
Load the app2sd script from the sdcard.
select save.
on the blue screen you will see app2sd.
start it by pressing it.
restart the phone after it finished."

try following that tut and see how it goes im aout to give it a try myself so ill keep you posted o how it goes!

edit: DONT FORGET TO BACKUP DATA FIRST

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones