2.1 Keyboard Frustration...General

Last Updated:

1. DocTauri

DocTauri Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I had hoped that 2.1 would solve this, but alas, no.

I would like to find the engineer who designed the stock qwerty keyboard on the Eris, and beat him with a bag of droids! Who in their right mind puts a button next to the space bar, that causes all typing to cease and brings up a settings menu? What the hell is the menu soft key for?!

I've been bit by this nearly every time I type on the keyboard. I had really hoped that it was a ergonomics issue that they would have fixed by the time 2.1 rolled around, but NOOOOOOOOO.

So, aside from loading a 3rd party keyboard (of which I've tried BetterKeyboard, Even Better Keyboard and Swype and don't like any as much as the built in, sans settings key) is there anything I can do? Reducing the size of my fingers is not an option, I'd probably stab myself in the brain.

I don't have a droid to compare to, but am assuming this is an HTC keybaord, not the stock android one.

HTC TAKE NOTE: Move the Settings button's functions to the Menu soft key, use the resulting space to increase the size of the space bar.
    </rant>

Doc

Advertisement
  2. DocTauri

DocTauri Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

AND, I was hoping that, by 2.1, they'd finally realize that the keyboard doesn't only need a SEND button when in portrait mode...

3. triphumphrey

triphumphrey Active Member

so this will hereby announce by fanboy status for swype...but how on earth do you not like Swype?

even when I sucked at swype-typing I was at least 5 times as fast and the new updated beta is even more accurate i think.

4. smacky

smacky Banned

Swype takes some getting used to, but it could be your remedy. I wasn't a fan at first, but after using it for three days, I've adapted to it and I, too, no longer hit the "Back" button or any random button while texting.

Like I said, it takes time, but you will get used to it.

5. shh

shh Well-Known Member

The new Swype Beta for 2.1 keyboard allows you to tap the keys the same as HTC kb as well as swipe. Makes it more useable. Don't have to switch back and forth. Besides, I like Swype kb layout better.

6. outkast7222

outkast7222 Member

I don't care for swype either.....I like the way it is set up but I am so slow at using it that it is easier for me to use the stock keyboard.....then again I type really slow either way so I guess it doesn't really matter either way.