2.1 leak root?General

Last Updated:

1. surgeon0214

surgeon0214 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Any buddy hear anything about the 2.1 leaks being rooted? Or are the devs just skipping that and rooting the official 2.1? If you know anything please post below.

Advertisement
  2. false_apology

false_apology Well-Known Member

The official OTA basically came rooted - the same method that was used to root 1.5 worked as long as your update to 2.1 was done via the official OTA update. Those of us who were impatient (myself included) and used the leaked updates, it changed the HBOOT version, making the existing root method useless.

As far as a method to root the leak, as far as I know, none has been found yet. I'm sure when one is available it will be all over the place. Many, many people want it. There is always the 'ebay shuffle' method; buy an eris on ebay (make sure it is a version 1.5), then just sell your leaked one back on ebay afterward. It will cost you maybe $20 in the end, if that...but a bit of a hassle though.

3. surgeon0214

Thanks man, but I remember a while back some dev at XDA found a possible way to root but I guess there hasn't been much progress...

4. false_apology

false_apology Well-Known Member

Yea, there were two promising leads I saw. Someone at XDA found that you could overflow a buffer using the fastboot command, and potentially get the phone to execute arbitrary code. It is a bit beyond me, and all threads discussing it seem to have sunk. Maybe it's still being discussed on IRC though.

The other was this forum member's mysterious "genius cousin" who found a way to roll his 2.1 leak eris back to 1.5. However, this was never confirmed, and nothing came out of it.

So we wait...

5. surgeon0214

and wait and wait and wait haha

6. jearl75

jearl75 Well-Known Member

Leak root is being worked on as I type, please be patient. The number of devs working on root for the leak has diminished but there are still a couple that I know of working on it, if it's found IT WILL BE POSTED :)

7. andrewzpsu

andrewzpsu Well-Known Member

I'm not a programmer, but why can't we install the previous version of HBOOT?