• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root 2.1 OTA and root

Cool beans so its business as usual if you get the update, then we just use SBF to revert back to 2.0 or 2.0.1 then root and install roms as usual. Seems easy enough. I still havent seen and confirmation on this. I am off to work right now, but when I get home I will be making an attempt at this and if it works, then there will deff be a tutorial video coming out ASAP! Thanks guys!

Upvote 0
Cool beans so its business as usual if you get the update, then we just use SBF to revert back to 2.0 or 2.0.1 then root and install roms as usual. Seems easy enough. I still havent seen and confirmation on this. I am off to work right now, but when I get home I will be making an attempt at this and if it works, then there will deff be a tutorial video coming out ASAP! Thanks guys!

That is correct, you can ALWAYS flash the SBF for 2.0 or 2.0.1 to get back to an exploitable version of Android and then apply a 2.1 ROM from there.

Upvote 0
What, if you flash the SBF? You'll lose all the data stored on the phone. You'll have to redownload all your apps and reset all of your settings. All of the data stored on your SD card WILL be preserved. If you go to Settings --> Privacy and check off the "Back up my settings" checkbox, all of your apps will be listed in the Downloads section after you restore the SBF to be downloaded again. You just have to keep clicking and pressing install and after a few minutes you'll have all of your apps back.

Upvote 0
Here is the latest info. Looks like we should accept the OTA update...

How to stop 2.1 update notifications - DroidMod

I'm running bb0.9.
If i go into setting > about phone>System updates, android update 2.1 is waiting for me to download.

I don't want to update.

In the link above it says to accept it if you have sprecovery. I have it but recently installed Rom manager.
From what I understood in the link it shouldn't matter and I SHOULD accept it because it wont let it update.
Is this correct?

Upvote 0
ok so since yesterday, i been noticing a huge battery drain on my phone. battery was just dropping without me even using the phone much at all. mainly it was on standby throughout the day. this continued into today. and then i remembered reading about how if you don't accept the 2.1 update, it will keep draining your battery for some unknown reason. and sure enough, i checked System Updates and the update was just sitting there. i never got any notification either. weird.

but anyway, my question is: how do i get rid of this update? can i accept it and the update will just fail on its own because i'm already rooted? i'm using Pete's Bugless Beast 0.9 right now.

EDIT: ok I figured out the problem. it was because I didn't have otacerts in the etc/security folder, that was why it wouldn't install and also why it kept looping on download every hr or so, draining my battery like crazy. I downloaded otacerts from another forum, put it in the security folder, downloaded the file again, and I got installation prompt. installed it, failed, and now no more insane continuous downloading.

Upvote 0
Hey all,

I have tried using (2.0.1 SBF with RSD Lite then using the original root exploit OR a helper app like dmupdater/droidrootpro. It fails everytime i am using win 7 software?? don't what or how to get this to work. I turn off droid and using dpad and power to get in boot start rsd lite find VZ sbf file hit start and it does not work. I am starting rsd as admin and i have downloaded moto drivers??? any solutions or am i just that stupid???

peejack12:eek:

Upvote 0
I'm running bb0.9.
If i go into setting > about phone>System updates, android update 2.1 is waiting for me to download.

I don't want to update.

In the link above it says to accept it if you have sprecovery. I have it but recently installed Rom manager.
From what I understood in the link it shouldn't matter and I SHOULD accept it because it wont let it update.
Is this correct?

i'm wondering the same thing. just installed bugless with rom manager and still, after reading this whole thread, sure what to do, much less how to do it.

the way i read it i should accept the update, but then i'm not sure what to do after that... any help?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones