2.1 OTA didn't wipe out anythingGeneral

Last Updated:

1. danyL

danyL Member This Topic's Starter

Besides my contacts, nothing got wiped out. Settings, pictures, apps all remained the same and untouched. I thought they were supposed to be wiped automatically?

The reason why I feel a little sketched right now is because I got impatient with the update so I did the " *#*#CHECKIN#*#* " method and it worked. Can anyone tell me if it's legit to do that?

Also, I've heard I should do a Factory Reset after I receive the update. Do you guys think it's a good idea/bad idea? Help a dude out please :)

Advertisement
  2. ACD168

ACD168 Well-Known Member

check-in didn't bother anything.. I had the same experience with not losing

anything. pictures are saved to SD card and nothing gets touched from that. The

only thing I had to do was re-download my apps which were present in the market

my downloads, and re-do my home screens - no big. This all coming from 1.5 to

manually installing OTA 2.1. I gave the new software about a week and with all of

the problems I was having I couldn't believe that it is official. Today made me very

happy, as I found I was able to downgrade from 2.1 back to 1.5

3. bjf88

bjf88 Well-Known Member

Yes, that is normal not to lose everything. That is how HTC/Verizon developed it. However, it is causing problems for some because there are conflicts between what was preserved on your phone and the new 2.1 OS. That is why everyone that has done a factory reset has seem a huge improvement. It is like starting with a fresh phone. I don't regret it at all.

And no, doing the checkin method wouldn't make a difference. It just makes your phone check the update servers more than usual.

4. danyL

danyL Member This Topic's Starter

You were most helpful. Thanks!

5. cboss

cboss Well-Known Member

The ONLY thing I lost was my contact ringtones.....took about 2 min to put them back in....all is well!:eek:

6. Eric2

Eric2 Well-Known Member

Did you have any POP e-mail accounts setup on your phone? If so, does the stock mail tool still find all your old e-mails? (Mine won't pull them off the SD card for some reason.)

7. bjf88

bjf88 Well-Known Member

If you were asking me, no I don't think so... but then again I am not a huge email user. It isn't too important to me to have any old emails on my phone.

8. Eric2

Eric2 Well-Known Member

Was asking the OP, but thanks just the same, bjf88.

9. TheNextCompanion

TheNextCompanion Member

The factory reset improved my Eris's performance by leaps and bounds and got rid of a few bugs I had encountered.

10. cmajpwc

cmajpwc Well-Known Member

I didn't do a factory reset after the update, and I haven't run into any issues so far. Hopefully it will stay that way.

I didn't lose anything, EXCEPT my photo albums. Even though they're still there on the SD card, they don't show up when they're in the albumthumbs folder. I made a thread about this and no one seemed to have an answer, so not to get too off topic but if you have an answer as to how to get them showing up again, I'd appreciate it a lot =]

I still had contacts/apps/pictures/contact ringtones, pretty much everything except my home screens and backgrounds. Well, the lock background stayed the same for some odd reason. But other than those two things, everything was the same. And speed and batter life have increased dramatically, so I can only imagine what my phone would be like with a factory reset... maybe one day.

11. Jethro

Jethro Well-Known Member

I was completely surprised that the OTA update did not delete everything as well. From reading posts here, I was convinced that the update would do a clean wipe of your system (not the SD card). I had even started a couple threads to find out the best way to backup and reinstall everything.

But after updating (I had to clear enough space first, though - 25MB), the ONLY thing I lost was my home screen settings and wallpapers. My contacts were still there, my text messages, all programs and their settings, calendar, etc. I had been DREADING setting all of my apps up again the way I've gotten them after a couple months of tweaking.

I must say, though, for me the phone seems to have more apps running in the background and be more sluggish, especially when trying to type (but it might be the HTC keyboard I installed).

Wonder why there was so much discrepancy in what would happen?