2.1 OTA Update causing massive data usage increase?

Last Updated:

1. potatolover1102

potatolover1102 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

So on a normal month of usage I may if I use it a lot get to 3GB of data. Now I know for some this is not a lot but my point is not how much is actually being used but the amount it has increased with this update. So I am only two weeks into this month and have had the update for about 5 days and I am already OVER 6GB :eek::eek::eek:!! WTH!!! I am just worried that if I am approaching 10 GB by the end of the month that Verizon might think I am tethering which I most certainly am not. In fact the time I did tether I got like 4gb that month. So should I be worried about the huge increase or can anyone else check their usage and let me know if I am the only one?

Advertisement
  2. mobrienjr

mobrienjr Well-Known Member

I do not have experience with this, but personally I would not be too worried about it. I am going to assume that verizon knows that the update would drastically increase the data the phones are using.

3. nstallion

nstallion Well-Known Member

Verizon can tell whether a data session is for your Droid or for a tethered device. High bandwidth usage would trigger them to investigate, but when they look closer they can tell whether you are tethering or not.

10GB is quite a lot though. Have you downloaded any new apps that might be hogging bandwidth?

4. potatolover1102

I have not changed my phone at all other than the features the update brought which would include I guess the constant update of the weather and news widget but that much for updating a simple rss feed?

5. potatolover1102

I wonder though if Skype Mobile could also be causing it? That came out at the beginning of my plan month?

6. mystereon

mystereon Active Member

Google Earth perhaps?

7. KAL-EL

KAL-EL Well-Known Member

Although I seriously doubt it, what about the weather/news app that came with 2.1? I know one can set it to refresh at a certain amount of time. is that a data hog?

8. nstallion

nstallion Well-Known Member

That could actually be part of it. If you set it to refresh really frequently, especially if you check the setting for it to prefetch the news articles. Those news pages could easily be 500k-1mb each and if you are refreshing like 50 of those once an hour it could add up fast.

9. CRPercodani

CRPercodani OFWGKTA VIP Member

I have had the news/weather widget for a long time and it doesn't use anywhere near that amount of data. If your using skype a lot then that is probably it. The 2.1 update wouldn't cause any extra data usage by itself.

10. mterrence5

mterrence5 Member

is it possible the location part of the widget that gives you weather in the city you are in is the data hog especially if it checking and updating the exact temperature all day long.