2.1 ROMs and 2.0.1 ROMs

Last Updated:

1. peenapple390

peenapple390 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Maybe i'm not really seeing anything that stick out to me but could someone please give me an answer.

Whats the difference between a 2.0.1 ROM and 2.1 ROM?

I've been rooted for awhile and always stuck with either AdamZ ROM or Pete's Bugless Beast and they were all based off of 2.0.1. Is there something special I need to do in order to run a ROM based off of 2.1?

I'm sorry if this is comes off as a noob question but I just can't figure it out.

Thanks and my apologies for the "noobishness"

Alan

Advertisement
  2. johnlgalt

johnlgalt Antidisestablishmentarian VIP Member

Short answer - 2.1 is the next generation of the OS that is coming to our phones (supposedly) soon.

Just like there was an Android 1.5, 1.6 and then 2.0 (which was updated to 2.0.1) there is also a 2.1 in development.

As for having to do anything special, well, yes and no. Your DROID can easily handle it - but there are some pre-requisites that you need to follow / have done before you can have one of these babies running.

You need to be rooted
    You need the latest SPRecovery, version 0.99.2b or later (.3b is the latest I ahve seen).
    For most of the newest 2.1 ROMs (those based upon the ESE53 build) you'll probably need to be ready to make a backup of your apps and be prepared to start all over from scratch, as trying to update to a 2.1 ESE53 build ROM from 2.0.1 plays hell with your phone unless you really know what you are doing.

3. peenapple390

peenapple390 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I'm already rooted and I have the SPRecovery 0.99.2b installed. I just wasn't sure if its just as simple to flash and 2.1 ESE53 build ROM on my phone as doing a wipe and flash...