• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

2.1 rooted!

cooolone2

Android Enthusiast
Nov 5, 2009
New York
[GUIDE] How to Root Sprint 2.1 Release for CDMA Hero - xda-developers

Read it and weep... for all those who have been waiting.
Amazing developers there at XDA, without a doubt.

Happy Trails!
:cool:

Let's not forget to offer props to those hard working Dev's there!
regaw_leinad is an awesome guy and all of those responsible deserve our support, lest that support disappear. Just some plugs for everyone over there at XDA!!!

Awesome!!!

Took no more than 20 min. Some of that was me not properly unzipping the files.

Again, I'm technologically we-taw-did when it comes to it, and I did it. Just take your time, and follow the instructions. PM me if you have any questions.
thx im still gonna wait a week or two to see if any issues pop up and what not. the only thing im worried about is voiding my warranty which i think is stupid since we are unleashing the full potential of our phones:D

Upvote 0
thx im still gonna wait a week or two to see if any issues pop up and what not. the only thing im worried about is voiding my warranty which i think is stupid since we are unleashing the full potential of our phones:D
Better to be cautious now rather than rush in if you are not comfortable. You don't want to brick your phone, and in the meantime you can see if others have any kind of problems. Some might....just like with the 1.5 root, some people were able to use the auto root method and others could not because it didn't work for some reason. I was one of those and did the manual root instead. Turned out to be very easy.

Upvote 0
Just a heads up.. but Sprint is already pushing an OTA update for the Evo that breaks the root exploit.. Since the Hero root is based on that it won't be long until they do the same for the Hero. here's an article on it over at Android Freaks

As per instructions from the XDA page...

OPTIONAL (but recommended):

To disable OTA updates (after rooting) that might patch this exploit, run the following commands from Command Prompt.

cd\

cd C:\android-sdk-windows\tools

adb remount

adb shell

mv /system/etc/security/otacerts.zip /system/etc/security/otacerts.zip.bak

This will prevent the OTA auto-updating...

It's on the first page of the Root Instructions.

Upvote 0
As per instructions from the XDA page...

OPTIONAL (but recommended):

To disable OTA updates (after rooting) that might patch this exploit, run the following commands from Command Prompt.

cd\

cd C:\android-sdk-windows\tools

adb remount

adb shell

mv /system/etc/security/otacerts.zip /system/etc/security/otacerts.zip.bak

This will prevent the OTA auto-updating...

It's on the first page of the Root Instructions.

:p how many people are going to scroll to the bottom when it says optional? that should be part of the rooting process.. just to avoid a million questions later when someone loses root due to an OTA

Upvote 0
Pretty amusing... GOBI, thanks for the redundancy! (???) Posting the link again from the OP. Hmmmm. Anyway...

Fenga... can't brick it, unless you do something extraordinarily stupid like pull the battery as it's writing to the system folder, lol... Not that this is impossible, just highly improbable!

Lozer and Hero... This is NOT a ROM replacement that you will load onto your phone. It is a process which will grant you ROOT ACCESS to your phone. Just like getting to the ROOT folder on your PC.

It "IS" still the OFFICIAL SPRINT UPDATE residing on your phone after ROOTING.

You can leave that there and not replace it, or if you chose, then you could load a different ROM onto the phone if that is what you want. I have the stock Sprint release on my phone and nothing more than ROOT and recovery which is nice, because at the very least, I have control over which apps are on my phone. Gone is the Sprint Bloatware Junk app's taking up space and cramming my phone with un-needed, unwanted, unasked for app's. Spint TV, Amazon MP3's, etc...

How to remove Stocks, Nascar and other useless apps... - xda-developers
READ through it all... but it is very easy.

The recovery NANDROID Backup option is wonderful, it actually makes a backup of you phone in totality, EVERYTHING as it is... in the event that you wish to put it back to the state it is in, phone numbers, settings, scene's apps, etc. all go back to exactly as it was when you used the Nanadroid Backup.

At the very least, those are two reasons I ROOTED. Lastly, the Hero will shortly be reaching EOL with all the newer, faster and better locked phones coming out, there is no better way to find some support in keeping it (Hero) going just a little while longer than by using one of the ROM's from the Dev's over at XDA. Something you won't find at Sprint or HTC.

All just my humble opinions, ultimately, the decision to ROOT is yours.

HappyTrails!

Upvote 0
Pretty amusing... GOBI, thanks for the redundancy! (???) Posting the link again from the OP. Hmmmm. Anyway...

He posted a thread in another area of the forum and his thread was merged with this thread. It is very likely that he was unaware of this post or was trying to let other users know as well.

Regardless, it's nothing to make a big deal out of. :) I'm sure he is just excited as everyone else in this thread. :D

Upvote 0
He posted a thread in another area of the forum and his thread was merged with this thread. It is very likely that he was unaware of this post or was trying to let other users know as well.

Regardless, it's nothing to make a big deal out of. :) I'm sure he is just excited as everyone else in this thread. :D

Yes i am very sorry didn't mean to step on any toes just happen to see it on xda and thought i would share it over here and i didn't see you had already posted it my bad just hope it benfits everyone here that all good luck and enjoy

Upvote 0
I am sooo happy to hear this!! I'm looking over the steps for it right now. Quick question, though. When you're rooting, if you get a phone call or text message or something, does it mess it up? If so, should we disable the Wi-Fi / Bluetooth connections, and put it in Airplane mode before we do this? Or will it not work if that is done. I've never done this before, so have no clue exactly what happens and what affects the phone during the root. Thanks!

Upvote 0
ok so i have a queston about rooting since im not to familiar with the process and results. once i root, what can my phone do? i know i can remove bloatware and load new roms but what else can i do? those are the only 2 i hear about and there must be more to it right? and what is this overclocking i hear about every once in a while?

THX in advance

Upvote 0
ok so i have a queston about rooting since im not to familiar with the process and results. once i root, what can my phone do? i know i can remove bloatware and load new roms but what else can i do? those are the only 2 i hear about and there must be more to it right? and what is this overclocking i hear about every once in a while?

THX in advance

Read the FAQ/Tutorial as it covers some of your questions :)

Reactions: Hero_Guy
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones