• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

2.1 to begin rollout this week - Motorola (Updated)

Im actually kinda mad about this, I wont be getting my droid until next Monday. I hope that phone wont come loaded with 2.1, it would also suck if the guy at the VZW store does the OTA update for me without asking. I planned on rooting it right when I get it.

Even if it were accidentally update to 2.1, you could always flash back to 2.0.1 following your root and then go from there.

Upvote 0
Funny.. I'd been waiting for it for so long, and now that I have a custom ROM installed, I really have no more interest in the official 2.1 update :( Booo. Still though, I'm sure this will make a lot of people happy.

I am in the same boat. I rooted this weekend because i got tired of waiting. Im just glad they finally got off their butts and did something about it.

Upvote 0
I can live without power sucking animated wallpapers but I'm a little ticked that flash *still* isn't going to be available. I thought Adobe was going to release it "early 2010"? I'm sure Adobe will be the first to whine when they miss boat!

Looking forward to 2.1 + Sweeter Home!

Once again, FLASH has Nothing to do with this update, Complain to Adobe. Come on Man!!!!!!!

Upvote 0
I find it hilarious that just a few weeks ago every Droid power-user was totally indignent over the fact the OTA update to 2.1 didn't come on January 21. Then a whole bunch of them (myself included) rooted their Droids and now really don't care too much about the OTA because they have found how awesome the ROMs that different Devs put out are. (myself included)

This may be confirmation bias on my part but it seems like a really big portion of people who have rooted their phones only did so after realizing that an OTA wasn't coming January 21st. Just look at all the root related threads that popped up in the weeks following.

That one somewhat arbitrary date may have significantly changed the user base of the Droid forever.

and... +1 "I'm still excited for the 2.1 update just to see what the Devs do with it"

Upvote 0
I find it hilarious that just a few weeks ago every Droid power-user was totally indignent over the fact the OTA update to 2.1 didn't come on January 21. Then a whole bunch of them (myself included) rooted their Droids and now really don't care too much about the OTA because they have found how awesome the ROMs that different Devs put out are. (myself included)

This may be confirmation bias on my part but it seems like a really big portion of people who have rooted their phones only did so after realizing that an OTA wasn't coming January 21st. Just look at all the root related threads that popped up in the weeks following.

That one somewhat arbitrary date may have significantly changed the user base of the Droid forever.

and... +1 "I'm still excited for the 2.1 update just to see what the Devs do with it"

haha That is pretty much why I did it. I was tired of waiting for the goodness.

And like you (and some others) am still excited to see what 2.1 brings us.

Upvote 0
How do they call it 2.1 if its missing all that is different between 2.0.1 and 2.1? I don't get it? Aren't the missing parts what everyone wants out of 2.1?

There are more differences than the app drawer and animated wallpaper.

- Revamped Music player interface
- Totally new Image and Video gallery (which is awesome)
- Multitouch browser

Im sure im missing a few too.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones