2.1 update and Speed dial ???General

Last Updated:

1. rdalev

rdalev Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

WTH ? Had speed dial set up , on 1.5, to press and hold a # on the keypad to call someone.

Now , after installing 2.1 and restoring ,using my backup, no more speed dial using the above method, nor is there a method according to other forums !:confused:

I mean........wth..............did they really leave out such a simple and standard method of speed dial from 2.1 ?

Advertisement
  2. slrieder

slrieder New Member

I am having the same problem. And I can't figure out a way to edit my VM number so that I don't have to enter my password manually. UGH!

3. dragonbro

dragonbro Well-Known Member

Open the dialer by touching phone > Menu > select speed dial > add new

Works for me since day 1 of installing 2.1 V3 leak.

4. Naboo81

Naboo81 Member

I ve rec'd a few calls regarding the speed dial issue. You are not able to save to the speed dial list, thus only the voicemail listed. I called HTC, its a google sw issue. We all know how hard it is to reach Google.

5. Frisco

Frisco =Luceat Lux Vestra= VIP Member

That method works on the OTA for me.

I'm wondering why others are reporting problems with that.

6. dawnstacie

dawnstacie Well-Known Member

I am having the same problem. It won't save the speed dials that I am programming in.

7. cmerrtt

cmerrtt Well-Known Member

I am having the same problem with speed dials ... tried what Frisco has suggested and it still will not save. The only thing that I have read that seems to help is a factory reset. I am hoping not to that so ... if anyone has any solutions please let us know.

Also ... is there a way to edit your voicemail number as we were able to do on 1.5?

8. WineJones

WineJones Well-Known Member

Just ran in to this on my new (this morning!) OTA. On 1.5 I had several speed dials and my voice mail pw programmed. Not any more. I just programmed my speed dial for "Home" about six times, assuming I was doing something wrong. I'm glad to see it's not just me, but OY! this is a bummer!

9. xene97

xene97 Well-Known Member

Factory reset fixed the issue for me

10. WineJones

Fixed as in really fixed? You can edit the voicemail number AND save speed dials?
    If I back up before I factory reset will "most" of my settings/customizations return?
    eeuuuww .... I don't like the sound of this.

11. Frisco

Now I'm beginning to wonder if my habit of rebooting after every configuration change has lent some fix it vibes to the device. No problems with the speed dial, but I did not get to that before about three reboots or so.

Sounds silly..

12. rdalev

rdalev Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

The only way I can set a # to speed dial is to press and hold an empty spot on my screen and add a contact, which from glancing at the droid forums seems to be the way you set it.

After your factory reset, was your phone back to 1.5 and having to install 2.1 again or did it reset to 2.1 ?

13. Frisco

LOL.. sorry; if a factory reset of the OTA 2.1 caused the device to run on 1.5.. welllll...... that would be quite a feat. ;)

14. Frisco

2.1 replaced 1.5, retaining only some user data. ;)

15. bjf88

bjf88 Well-Known Member

My speed dial is working as well as being able to edit vm number. I did a factory reset after I got the OTA.

16. xene97

xene97 Well-Known Member

Well, the reset fixed the saving of speed dials but it did wipe out all of the settings/customizations.

17. WineJones

Ok - I did a factory reset and it DID fix the speed dial issue!

I also found, before I factory reset that I could edit the voicemail number by going to
    Menu > Settings > Call > Voicemail Service > Voicemail number.

I believe BOTH issues are fixed on my phone.

Thanks again to all for the help!

18. swe3t23

swe3t23 Well-Known Member

if i do a factory reset what does it erase, is it just apps? what about pictures and music is it still there

19. manderle

manderle Well-Known Member

Erases everything not on the SD card - takes it back to the condition it was in before you bought your phone but with the 2.1 firmware

20. Rich214

Rich214 Member

Was able to change the VM number and that stuck. But I'm having the same problem with speed dial. I can get to the point where I pick the person/number and assign a "location" or speed dial number. After hitting save and trying to call that person by holding down the assigned number it doesn't work. When I go back in to check the assignments it's gone.

Is it really work doing a factory re-set for this!? Given I just had to re-do ALL of my personalizations after the 2.1 update.

21. WineJones

Well, that's what worked for me. I fussed and stalled, hoping some of the smart folks here would figure something else out, but finally decided that the longer I waited the more "customizations" I'd be adding.

So last night I took the plunge. I backed up apps and data using MyBackupPro, then just to be sure I stored copies of the backup files on my computer. The factory reset truly does return it to "out of the box," pristine configuration, but I was pleasantly surprised at how easy it was to restore from MyBackupPro. (I didn't need the computer backups - I used the copies on the sd card) I still don't have my own wallpaper and few pretty things like that added in, but my speed dials work, and I just need some time to fine-tune things.
    YMMV.
    Good Luck!