• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

2.1 update set for 3/26 (unofficially)

This post had a statement from a Sprint rep about March 26th date.

Post is here.

Yes, but so far the only "official" announcement anyone has seen is from Sprints Twitter feed. A quote from the link provided above:
However, this update is not officially confirmed
Also they sourced someone who posted in the comments confirming it. One thing I love about the age of the internet is that a lot of these so called "news" sites do not spend the time to run down and confirm directly....They just post all of the hearsay and rumors which feeds threads like this and gets people all worked up and upset over nothing....

Upvote 0
Some folks have said that Sprint isn't required to provide OS updates to the Hero (or other Android phones). While that is true, if Sprint gets revenue from the paid apps (perhaps a big assumption on my part but if I was Sprint I would insist on a cut), it benefits Sprint to make that revenue stream as big as possible by updating all Android phones as soon as possible.

Upvote 0
I think sprint gains more revenue from phone sales. sorry I didn't quote ya but yes I too feel that sprint does not have to update the os for hope to be soon old phones. but here's how I see it....for the ppl who want 2.1 now rather than jump ship or wait it out, sprint will deliver the update. now if the supersonic is shipping out with 2.1 don't expect it any time soon. sprint wants phone purchases. the hero and moment will continue to stay on the shelves until sprint believes its ready for the next push. like any business, they want to be a majority. though sprint doesn't use that word often. well maybe the majority of its customers are leaving lol. I'm just thinking sprint worked on this update for its first and very popular android phones to help drive sales one more time before the next gen find stores. otherwise if the supersonic comes out soon or even the N1 hits shelves near time of update, sprint would have wasted their time. I love my hero as I'm sure a lot of you do too but if we had 3 options: upgrade, N1, or supersonic, which would you choose? honestly I believe majority of sprint customers would choose the newer phone over an update for an older and lesser performing device. if I were sprint, and I hate saying this, I would roll out update a hell of a lot quicker than they are. at end of summer I would then either roll out the N1 and or the supersonic. gotta remember; the majority of sprints customers are not on forums learning about their phones and what's next. they are just average Joes who want the next great thing. but, we shall see. I for one want the massive supersonic. who wouldn't want a screen the size of your 50" plasma at home :D

Sent from my HTC HERO using Tapatalk

Upvote 0
For those of you that read the message, and think it said there is an update to the software in April, please read it again...

Look for more information coming in April about Android 2.1 platform for Hero and Moment.

First, a company rarely ever provides the software for general availability when it is released, they release information before the release. So we are probably not looking at availability in April.

Also, they could just be doing a feasibility study, and the announcement in April could be "Due to the majority of our users not having enough technical knowledge, we have decided not to release Android 2.1 updates for the Hero and Moment."

Remember, the people on this forum may not be representative of the majority of people that use these phones. Losing all applicatioins to upgrade may be too big a psychological hurdle for the typical Sprint users.

Upvote 0
For those of you that read the message, and think it said there is an update to the software in April, please read it again...

Look for more information coming in April about Android 2.1 platform for Hero and Moment.

First, a company rarely ever provides the software for general availability when it is released, they release information before the release. So we are probably not looking at availability in April.

Also, they could just be doing a feasibility study, and the announcement in April could be "Due to the majority of our users not having enough technical knowledge, we have decided not to release Android 2.1 updates for the Hero and Moment."

Remember, the people on this forum may not be representative of the majority of people that use these phones. Losing all applicatioins to upgrade may be too big a psychological hurdle for the typical Sprint users.

If they are not really working on the update to be released soon why would the say:

Let your customers know we are actively working on having the Android 2.1 platform available to our Hero and Moment customers over the coming weeks.

Upvote 0
If they are not really working on the update to be released soon why would the say:

Let your customers know we are actively working on having the Android 2.1 platform available to our Hero and Moment customers over the coming weeks.

If they have said that, then it is different. However, a message saying to look for information in April does not mean that there will be a release in April. Unless Sprint has a habit of never saying anything official until the release date.

Upvote 0
I'm going to call Sprint and demand they tell me the official release date. I had some issues with my phone so I RUU'd it back to stock with the assumption that 2.1 would come out this week. I can't believe how FREAKING SLOW an un-modded phone is, it hasn't been 12 hours and I'm already hating my slow 1.5 phone. I'm going to be like "look... you need to tell me if 2.1 is coming out this week... otherwise I'm modding my phone back because the Sprint stock version sucks!"

What do you think they'll say? :D

Upvote 0
I'm going to call Sprint and demand they tell me the official release date. I had some issues with my phone so I RUU'd it back to stock with the assumption that 2.1 would come out this week. I can't believe how FREAKING SLOW an un-modded phone is, it hasn't been 12 hours and I'm already hating my slow 1.5 phone. I'm going to be like "look... you need to tell me if 2.1 is coming out this week... otherwise I'm modding my phone back because the Sprint stock version sucks!"

Sprint:

"Dear Toyzruskid1976,

Thank you for contacting Sprint regarding the Android 2.1 Software.

Unfortunately, this software is not available to our customers, I am
unable provide the details you requested. If Sprint offers it in the
future, you will find product and pricing details on Sprint.com and in
promotional information at our retail stores.

We encourage you to watch news reports or monitor our web site to see if
a change in availability occurs.

I once again apologize for the inconvenience caused due to this.

Thank you for calling in to us.

Sincerely,

Customer Support from India"

:D:p:cool::rolleyes:

Upvote 0
Sprint:

"Dear Toyzruskid1976,

Sincerely,

NICE!!!! Did this come from Foamy the Squirrel?

Upvote 0
Sprint:

"Dear Toyzruskid1976,

Sincerely,

PS... your phone is now void due to unauthorized changes to your Hero. Please refer all future questions to your local Sprint store for a purchase of a new phone that has 2.1 loaded... when they are available.

Sincerely,
Customer Serice :p

Upvote 0

First of all, it's not a great idea to tell them your phone is rooted, because that also tells them that you have the ability to do things that violates your contract (PAM for example), and they might start watching your usage more closely.

Further, if 2.1 one were released and OTA'd this morning, I still wouldn't go back to stock. We will have 100% fully functional 2.1 ROMs and kernels available to us within a day or two of the release (if not hours) that will be leaner, cleaner, faster, with a real possibility that Sprint's version might be patched up to be unrootable, at least for awhile. Look through the Droid Eris forums. It's pretty much the same phone as our Hero, but the exploits used to root the Hero were closed and sealed on the Eris. It's been out for what, 3 or 4 months, and it's taken until this week for some crafty devs to finally break through and find another way to get it rooted.

You can always re-root and flash one of the stable, 99% fully functional 2.1 ROMs available while waiting it out. No worries.

Upvote 0
First of all, it's not a great idea to tell them your phone is rooted, because that also tells them that you have the ability to do things that violates your contract (PAM for example), and they might start watching your usage more closely.

Further, if 2.1 one were released and OTA'd this morning, I still wouldn't go back to stock. We will have 100% fully functional 2.1 ROMs and kernels available to us within a day or two of the release (if not hours) that will be leaner, cleaner, faster, with a real possibility that Sprint's version might be patched up to be unrootable, at least for awhile. Look through the Droid Eris forums. It's pretty much the same phone as our Hero, but the exploits used to root the Hero were closed and sealed on the Eris. It's been out for what, 3 or 4 months, and it's taken until this week for some crafty devs to finally break through and find another way to get it rooted.

You can always re-root and flash one of the stable, 99% fully functional 2.1 ROMs available while waiting it out. No worries.

LOL sad thing is... people do stupid shit like this all the time (calling about illegal stuff they did... "Hello, Cable Company, my illegal box isn't picking up channel XXXX")

Need to figure out what 2.1 Rom I want to go to... I had Damage on there, but wondering if I should give Fresh 2 a try

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones