2.1 update sizeSupport

Last Updated:

1. kagsjc1

kagsjc1 New Member This Topic's Starter

Does anyone know the size of the 2.1 update? I have the Moment and I'm curious how the update will be applied to the phone. Will it override the existing 1.5 files? Also, will it take some of the 256mg internal memory of the phone?

Advertisement
  2. tatonka_Hero

tatonka_Hero Well-Known Member

...unless I'm mistaken, no one's likely to know since it hasn't come out yet

3. kahale

kahale Well-Known Member

it should write over 1.5 in the rom. it wont use the available internal memory. the moment has 512mb of rom memory. not sure how big 2.0/2.1 stock is but i know for sure it wont fit on g1 with 256mb rom. i guess its around 300mb?

4. latinmaxima

latinmaxima Well-Known Member

You also have to consider that some people have put 2.0 on their G1. So yes it should fit and it shouldn't take up much more space than what 1.5 has other than the additional OS info.

5. Thefoodman52

Thefoodman52 Well-Known Member

Yea.... what latinmaxima said. It's basically a really big jump patch on 1.5. Think of it like if you play an online game. Lets say you stop playing for a year or so. The most recent patch won't take that long to download and install, nor will it require oodles and boodles of HDD space. It's just basically adding things on. It's not like going from 1.5-2.1 will take the ROM memory req. from like 150mb to 400mb. Roughing it here, I'm gonna say it'll be like 15-20mb larger.

6. kahale

kahale Well-Known Member

yea they have but its not stock. they had to modify it to fit.

7. latinmaxima

latinmaxima Well-Known Member

True but even after modifying it it still fit. Considering the sdk is as compressed as it can be the still made it fit so I am sure it wasn't so large it wouldn't fit on its own. It was modified to work with the hardware fo the G1. not because its size was too large.

8. Risket

Risket Active Member

This may be a stupid question but I've never owned a phone that's OS/firmware has been upgraded.... but how exactly would we do it? Would there be something you download and plug the phone into the computer via USB? Or would it be an over-the-air kind of update? If so I'd imagine it would have to download and reboot to install the upgrade since it couldn't modify the operating system while it's in use.

9. pg2k3

pg2k3 Member

Why not compile the source code and find out? Even with doing that there would be no way to factor in the closed source programs that Sprint will be cooking into their custom build of 2.1 so only time will tell.