2.1 UpdateGeneral

Last Updated:

1. Brendanmurphy

Brendanmurphy Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Advertisement
  2. rxallan

rxallan Active Member

We always get screwed.
    The droid came out last October, we had to wait 5 months to get the Milestone :(
    And I don't even know how long it will be until the Nexus One get here.

3. jreid

jreid Member

Q2 is only like 3 weeks go, so chill. Granted we'll probably see it at the very end of the Q, but still.

4. dieKatze88

dieKatze88 Member

Why is this such a big deal? We're still not running 1.5, or 1.6.

Seriously, 2.1 would be nice, but I have a *BARELY* functioning 2.0.1 on my HTC Fuze right now, and a stable 1.6 would be a miracle. My milestone doesn't arrive until next week. You people are crying about being stuck on 2.0.1, on a device with hardware acceleration, and the 2nd fastest processor of any android device, and the highest resolution display of any android device. My god.

5. Brendanmurphy

Its the principal of the fact. Canadians always have to wait. And we are sick of it.

6. merkman

merkman Active Member

Well, I'm an American with a US phone and it seems obvious that since the phone JUST CAME OUT they might need some time to tweak 2.1 to work with the right frequencies, etc. If you just wanna brick a phone, go get a driod that can't do NA 3G on Telus, Rogers, or AT&T, and fire away.

Either way, give your pirate dog a chew toy and some Ex-lax. Looks like he's in pain...

7. Brendanmurphy

Its a monkey....... And why so serious?

Firmware does not have to do with the frequency. They could easily provide us with the 2.1 update the same time as europe but they aren't.

8. acoole

acoole Well-Known Member

Stop complaning maybe, us Europeans always have to ******* wait for any product to come out, for most updates, for everything we always get ****** over, so stop being so Impatient and deal with it like we do.

And European firmware wouldn't work on the fly in your country btw ;)

9. dieKatze88

dieKatze88 Member

Actually you'd be surprised how much the carrier's version of the software and the carrier that it will be used on can change the rate of fixes and number of problems. The USA got the Fuze late, and as a result we had fewer issues, but this also meant that there was only one big-boy patch in the form of a real upgrade, and it fixed everything. But at the same time, the Fuze had alot of issues the Touch Pro did not, and the Touch Pro had issues the Fuze never saw, despite them both being HTC Raphaels.

So, no. They really couldn't provide us with the 2.1 update at the same time as europe. The milestone hasn't been out in canada long enough to identify all the issues, despite how fast we've found quite a few.

And actually, if you knew more about smartphones, you would know that the RIL can actually change from region to region, and as a result, yes, the firmware CAN depend on the frequency. So this means, yes, we are waiting on the update, likely because our special WCDMA 850-1900-2100 radio has a different RIL and as a result, will require a separate image than other regions. This might explain why people flashing SA Milestones with EU firmware are losing their 850-1900-2100 3g. Might be something to look into.

10. flipcyde

flipcyde Member

If you can't wait, buy an unlocked and imported phone :). I'm in Canada and I've had the Milestone for a few months now. I apply updates whenever I find out the UK gets updates. I'm on fido and it works perfectly. I believe telus and bell are adopting sim cards as well, but I don't know if unlocked phones will work for bell or telus. I am 100% sure it works with fido and rogers.

11. Darkwarrior006

Darkwarrior006 Well-Known Member

Guys, rooting is international friendly. Try it today for free!

12. Brendanmurphy

The Telus milestone has not been rooted yet

13. Eaglesfan9106

Eaglesfan9106 Well-Known Member

lol grumpy canadians:rolleyes:

14. Brendanmurphy

Hey i havent had my morning Timmys of course im grumpy Eh! :p

15. Darkwarrior006

Darkwarrior006 Well-Known Member

sorry guys, i didnt know that. We americans feel your pain too.

16. Brendanmurphy

What also sucks is we can not use customs roms that overclock or anything cool the droid does because our bootloader is locked and the rom is digitally signed the most i think we can do is probably themes

17. spottyelephant

spottyelephant Well-Known Member

Canada on strike!

Anyway, you're in a better position than a lot. Google's European HQ is in Dublin in Ireland...and the only phones available here are the Hero, Galaxy Spica, and Htc Tattoo...none of which have any updates announced. We have to import sim free at a major cost if we want anything else!

18. hef

hef Well-Known Member

none of us actually have 2.1 yet so stop whining ploz.