2.1 upgrade experienceSupport

Last Updated:

1. greymouse

greymouse New Member This Topic's Starter

Hi guys,

I can see many of you upgrading to 2.1. I am quite happy with 1.6 except for
    occasional slow reactions, especially the initial display of the call log, camera start up etc.
    I read Android 2.1 is more optimized so in theory it should be faster. Do you see that happening ? Anything else that made you think "yes, it was worth upgrading because of this" ?
    I would be interested in knowing the top reason for people to upgrade...

I don't think live wallpapers are worth the hassle; and now Angry Birds works in 1.6 :), so I am not sure I am willing to try to fix what is not broken...

Thanks for any input
    Thomas

Advertisement
  2. datvichrox

datvichrox New Member

I particularly didn't like that the call log lags so much in 2.1, this wasnt the case with 1.6

Also no different wallpaper for lock screen and home screen in 2.1

In 1.6, the LG theme was nicer than the default android one, but in 2.1 the standard android theme seems better.

Most of all , I like the update because there are no in-call issues with 2.1.

In 1.6, when I make a new call, the amount of noise and the overall volume of the speaker seemed to have gone up and during those times, the person at the other end complained of echo.... Then I had to restart the phone or put it in airplane mode and back to resolve this. No such issues after the 2.1 upgrade.

And the facebook sync is nice, dunno if it was there in 1.6.

And If I try to 'join/split' a contact, I always get the force close message.

3. mikes8590

mikes8590 New Member

Since upgrading to 2.1 (on HTC Hero) my YouTube widget no longer works. From searching the forum this appears to be affecting a number of users!! I am also having issues with in-car bluetooth which I never had with v1.5. Synchronisation does'nt seem to work as well items don't get pushed to me as they arrive any more (Outlook Active Sync). These are pretty frustrating issues that we shouldn't really have to deal with.
    Apart from that the speed I think is a little better than before when opening apps. If I can get YouTube working again and the sync issues sorted out then I'd say the upgrade was worth it but at this stage it's more of a disadvantage for me.

4. DingIsBack

DingIsBack Member

-ve

I liked the extra lock screen wallpaper on 1.6.

2.1 has videos in 3gp now? They look much worse quality to me. blocky as hell. (Normal camera not changed)

+ve

Live wallpapers is good, but not a killer.. Though it does mean live weather animations and stuff like that... nicer environment and looks uptodate, rather than "so last year" :rolleyes:

more apps available on 2.1 that aren't on 1.6. 1.6 dev will eventually die, if not already about dead.