2.1 vs. 2.2

Last Updated:

1. paleodust

paleodust Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I'm currently using XTRSense 4.6 since I like the weather flip clock on my home page but I'm getting curious about Froyo.

Conventional wisdom would suggest that 2.2 is a more advanced version of the OS but I'm seeing lots of people continuing to use and update 2.1.

Why doesn't everyone upgrade to Froyo 2.2? What is the advantage of sticking with 2.1, other than the Sense UI? ...or is that all there is to it? :confused:

Advertisement
  2. Xyro

Xyro 4 8 15 16 23 42 Moderator

This is a complete guess, but I'd wager nobody has ported a (stable) 2.2 + Sense ROM to your phone yet.

That's the problem we have with the HTC Hero, and since our phones share screen resolution you'd be in the same situation as us. (It's a lot easier to port between phones with the same resolution).

That said, vanilla 2.2 is better than 2.1 + Sense IMO.

3. scary alien

scary alien not really so scary Moderator

paleodust likes this.
  4. jae_63

jae_63 Well-Known Member

With launcher pro and beautiful widgets, you can run vanilla 2.2 without missing sense at all. I am running kaosfroyo 37 on my eris

5. kobel1up

kobel1up Well-Known Member

Here is my 2cents.
    I don't run sense on my phone at all, I run on 2.1 XtrRom with launcher pro plus or ADW launcher, and because I dont use HTC sense launcher I can't use HTC widgets. I tried Xtrsense and then used launcher pro and then realized there is no sense in having sense if you don't use HTC sense launcher. That's why I use XtrRom. There are better things out there then sense. imo. Launcher pro allows you to do lots of things and if you give it a try you may not miss sense.

Now on 2.2 I have just started running nonsensikal 10.8 and there are just a few things that I like about 2.2 that 2.1 doesn't have. I agree with the above post on beautiful widgets you can make more changes then with sense only.

If you have only run Xtrsense then try out XtrRom 4.6.5, after a few minutes you may not miss the sense feel, use launcher pro and play around with the settings for it. Try out beautiful widgets, it gives a new and fresh look to the clock.

6. MrDangerous

MrDangerous Well-Known Member

Once the Camera, Wifi and GPS all work in the 2.2 sense roms. I might switch from KaosFroyo.

7. T-Keith

T-Keith Well-Known Member

2.2 has a lot of advantages. Partitionless apps on sd, better market, with automatic app downloading, better browser, wireless tethering, ect. Sense has it's advantages, but I personally like launcher pro and some other things instead of sense.

8. Stagnation

Stagnation Well-Known Member

xtrROM is the only 2.1 ROM I use. At the time, KaosFroyo v27 was the only 2.2 ROM I tried and I wasn't too impressed so I went back to xtrROM.

I just recently tried Nonsensikal 10.8.1. It's now my daily driver. It feels just as fast as xtr, if not faster and it's been completely stable.

I probably wouldn't have gone to 2.2 except xtr started doing some strange reboots and would always auto-mount the SD card when plugged into the USB cable; no matter what I set it to. Another reason is that all of my friends now have the new Android "superphones" so I feel the need to run 2.2 to fit in. :(

9. Podivin

Podivin VIP Member VIP Member

I'm a big fan of Nonsensikal also. However on version 10.8 I couldn't get Swype to work, so yesterday I installed the FroShedYo ROM. It's nice and fast also, and Swype works :)
    I'll stick with this for a while to see how it pans out, so far no problems and battery life is looking good.

10. doogald

doogald Guides Guide

I still find CELB the best of the Eris Froyos, and the new one with the new kernel seems even better.

11. Stagnation

Stagnation Well-Known Member

Swype works fine on Nonsensikal for me. I did have issues at first but after manually deleting the installed apk and reinstalling the Swype installer it's back to working.

12. paleodust

CELB seems to stand out so far, just based on reading recent opinions...

I'm curious about FroShedYo now, too. Am I correct in understanding that it's somehow based on CELB? If so, what's the difference?

13. doogald

doogald Guides Guide

It's nice. Basically what is different is the "chrome" - the typefaces are different (and very attractive, actually), and there are customized LauncherPro dock icons (actually, the fact that LP is built-in is, I believe, different from CELB.)

You can see screen shots here: xda-developers - View Single Post - [ROM][GPL] FroShedYo V4 | Froyo 2.2.1 CM/AOSP[Vanilla | Pink for the Ladies![11/08/]

I tried it for a little bit last night, but my major problem was that I could not distinguish boldface from normal, making it difficult in Gmail to tell unread mail from read mail. Also, after installing and setting up my apps I had less than 25 MB free in internal storage. That one I could have solved by removing some apps, but the typeface thing was a killer for me.

14. paleodust

Are people generally using Launcher Pro with CELB?

15. doogald

doogald Guides Guide

Unless I am running xtrSENSE, I always use LP with every ROM.

paleodust likes this.