2.1 vs Froyo

Last Updated:

1. reinert012

reinert012 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

What are the main differences between 2.1 and Froyo? And also what are some of your favorite froyo ROMs out there?

Advertisement
  2. SplicedX

SplicedX Well-Known Member

One thing I have found is that with regards to apps2sd is that on 2.2 certain apps will remain on the internal memory if they are copy protected. With 2.1 apps2sd, the apps think they are still in the internal storage though they are moved to the sd. With that said, that was one of the reasons I went back to xtrROM3.x. Also, I didnt notice any major real performace gains, though the linpack scores were higher. Maybe once the kinks get smoothed out I try again

3. doogald

doogald Guides Guide

I haven't run Froyo for a long period of time, but the things that I noticed about it:

- The gmail app is better. Among other things, you can now be notified of every new message, not just notified once and then not until you clear the notification or enter the gmail app.

- market downloads with updates can now all be updated at once, and, for apps that support it, can be updated automatically.

- your apps' data can be backed up, so if you factory reset, or get a new device, the apps will retain all of your old settings and data

- of course, froyo adds official support for jit and apps stored to external storage, but that's nothing new to 2.1 rooters.

I am sure that there is more, but those are the major things that I have noticed.

4. Demache

Demache Well-Known Member

I'm still keeping my eye on Froyo. I don't think its 100% usable yet (heard the fixed some more issues recently though) but I will definitely upgrade when the time comes.

5. SJFlowerHorn

SJFlowerHorn Well-Known Member

Kaosfroyoftw!!!!

6. reinert012

Thanks for all the replies. I tried out Tazz and Kaos and didnt like how it kept all the apps int he foreground even with a task killer and it seemed a BIT sluggish, but it couldve been me. Im going to stick with WW for the time being.

But froyo is definitely sexy.

7. woofers02

woofers02 Member

You have to give Froyo some time and a couple reboots before it performs to its full ability. Initially there is a lot of syncing going on in the background so it will take awhile. I'm currently running KaosFroyo v27 and it's as smooth if not smoother than every other ROM. No way can I ever go back to a 2.1 ROM again.

8. reinert012

Wowza, i did notice that about the syncing, but i didnt like all the apps running...would that affect the battery?

9. VonKannick

VonKannick Well-Known Member

I tried a couple of different Froyo ROMs, and keep going back to xtrROM. I don't really see any huge speed differences from one to the next, but I really prefer the dialer in xtr.