2.10.405.2 OTA manual update

Last Updated:

1. teppic74

teppic74 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

This update appears to have been pulled (probably temporarily) as an OTA update.

edit: The update is now available again OTA. This guide will still work if you prefer to install manually, or don't get the OTA offer.

This update is for stock froyo release 2.09.405.8 only.

You can apply it manually by following these steps:

• Backup anything you need, in case of problems
    • Download this file and put it on your sdcard
    • Rename the file to 'update.zip' (ensure it is not update.zip.zip)
    • Power down the phone
    • Start the phone in recovery (press vol down and power together, then select recovery)
    • After recovery loads press vol up and power together
    • Select to apply update.zip

If you have debranded your phone you MUST have your goldcard in the phone.

Read that last bit again.

Advertisement
    denialnw10, tuffcheez, wnp_79 and 4 others like this.
  2. rtb35

rtb35 Well-Known Member

I will just add that if you are renaming the file on your pc you only need to name it update,if you name it update.zip the phone will read it as update.zip.zip and the update will not work.
    cheers teppic74

3. Rastaman-FB

Rastaman-FB Well-Known Member

not if "hide extensions for known file types" is unchecked within folder options and view

4. LECTER

LECTER Well-Known Member

My software is 2.10.161.2, will it still work?

5. teppic74

My software is 2.10.161.2, will it still work?

"This update is for stock froyo release 2.09.405.8 only."

LECTER likes this.
  6. LECTER

LECTER Well-Known Member

Damn!! :(

7. kevinf1990

kevinf1990 Well-Known Member

nevermind i pressed something wrong lol

8. kevinf1990

works perfectly. if htc does release a newer update, i should be able to get it from over the air right? my desire was previously a telus branded one

9. rtb35

rtb35 Well-Known Member

Yeah you will still be able to get it OTA but make sure your gold card is in the phone when you do it.

10. prrhartley

prrhartley Member

If my phone wasn't rooted and I applied this manually (ie without goldcard) it should just get the next OTA update the same as everyone else shouldn't it?

11. dodgemalodge

dodgemalodge Member

Ok, I have the software version that this update applies to but does anybody know whT the update actually does?

12. ThEGr33k

ThEGr33k Well-Known Member

I think its been pulled from OTA because it was causing Wi-Fi issues with normal handsets... Id advise not bothering till HTC re release with Wi-Fi fix, there is no real gains to be had.

13. teppic74

As far as I can see it's only caused issues for people who've upgraded without a goldcard, which will happen with every update.

14. dodgemalodge

dodgemalodge Member

Well this handset is brand new froyo unbranded unlocked (I say that because I have two, the other being t-mobile debranded and manually updated to HTC stock froyo with the goldcard method). However I'm still curious, does anyone know what the update is actually for?

15. teppic74

HTC never releases a full changelog. There's a new radio, and the kernel and bootloader are updated. Most apps are changed, but probably not altered a lot. Vibrate on shutdown is gone. There's voice search enabled on the keyboard app.

Although this is temporarily not available OTA, it is not a withdrawn update. The update file is coming direct from HTC.

desirakias likes this.
  16. desirakias

desirakias New Member

I have a random freeze issue with froyo, and recently when powering down and rebooting it restarts infinite time until power up. It restarts when unloking the sim card mainly. I wonder if the new OTA fixes this issue??, which apparently is quite common. I have reset the phone several times and is still not resolved.

Should I use the "recovery" method to re-apply the froyo upgrade first (2.09.405.8) and then do the manual OTA upgrade? Or else I have to sent the phone for service for 10 days :-( !!!

Tnx

17. sirlisterof smeg

sirlisterof smeg Member

Is this why on friday my desire alerted me and asked if i wanted to update.
    As i was only on 3G i decided to wait until i got home (WiFi)
    when i got home i checked and my phone was up to date.
    Was it really pulled for download within the 2 hrs it took me to get home?

18. kevinf1990

yeah i think this update only causes problem for those who upgrade without gold card. i upgraded and wifi still works

19. noodles317

noodles317 Active Member

Right i am hopeing someone can help me because i am going out of mind with this problem.

I recreated my Gold Card after delting the thing a few months ago, i then created it and went to install the manual update from this post. All was well until i tried to start my phone in recovery and it goes to start with the HTC splash screen then it goes black with a phone picture and a triangle with a red exclamation mark and then requires me to rip the battery out to boot my phone up.

I've tried with my normal memory card to boot up in recovery and still the same red exclamation mark, can anyone tell me why my phone will not startup in recovery?

Any help would be great.

20. rtb35

rtb35 Well-Known Member

When you get to the screen with the red triangle and an exclamation mark you need to press up on the volume button and the power button then it will go into the next menu where you select install update.zip.

21. noodles317

noodles317 Active Member

Awesome thankyou so much i'll try that again tonight when i get home from work.

22. rumbataz

rumbataz Well-Known Member

^ I had that problem too and crapped myself! lol. But I managed to figure out how to progress to installing the update.zip. Perhaps post #1 in this thread could be modified to indicate that you are likely to see the red triangle and that you need to press volume up and power?

23. bfksc

bfksc Well-Known Member

Umm...how did you delete the goldcard? Formating does not change it, a goldcard is a goldcard for life unless you manually alter the boot sectors back to default.
    Maybe it's because the phone is NOT put into recovery mode to install the update, it's put into bootloader/fastboot mode. There's a difference in the selection. Make sure you're not selecting recovery when you get into the bootloader.

24. wnp_79

wnp_79 Member

Nice one, thank you. Just updated it. No problems, wi-fi works just fine. (Unbranded unrooted stock Desire). Main differences noticed so far (apologies if this was already included, just my observations);

Phone seems a little slicker between home screens and animations are smoother.
    No lag on my Beautiful Widgets Weather animations any more. Now also smooth.
    Showing a much stronger signal than I usually get from my location at work. (Full strength on Edge instead of two bars on GPRS.)
    Noticed a couple of extra calculator widgets (including a shocking red one) but not sure if they were there before or not.
    Gallery no longer shows a folders content if you put the .nomedia file in! (Never worked for me until now.)
    Noticed a third HTC Mail widget style.
    Sand Timer widget available as download.

robbieirl likes this.
  25. teppic74

The red triangle screen IS recovery. That's normal.