• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

2.10.405.2 OTA manual update

ive just had to receive a new one as my last one took a dip im ma cuppa,before it went for a plunge i got the OTA update bout 2weeks ago and it gave me app share.htc torch which was kinda fun,it had 3 settings when you touched the screen and wifi update which meant the phone became an external wifi router,actauly managed to work my laptop for a bit,but now ive got a feckin o2 branded one now so i cant get the froyo update,hopefully it'll be available soon to o2 branded phones.:D

Upvote 0
When you get to the screen with the red triangle and an exclamation mark you need to press up on the volume button and the power button then it will go into the next menu where you select install update.zip.
Yeh, this needs adding to the first message to make it clear and stop panic attacks :eek: , and add the words 'both together' :

i.e.
When you get to the screen with the red triangle and an exclamation mark you need to press both together the UP volume button and the power button, then it will go into the next menu where you select install update.zip.

Unh.

Upvote 0
The software in 2.10.161.2 and 2.10.405.2 is different - the generic build is more up to date than Vodafone's (HTC's versioning system is almost random).

That's not true, we had 2.09.405.8 and then Vodafone got 2.10.161.2 (which included the voice mic on the keyboard). We then got 2.10.405.2 which has now added this. There are the same build but with different vendor codes...

Upvote 0
That's not true, we had 2.09.405.8 and then Vodafone got 2.10.161.2 (which included the voice mic on the keyboard). We then got 2.10.405.2 which has now added this. There are the same build but with different vendor codes...

They have different kernel versions, and of course different customizations. I haven't checked on the apps.

edit: doing a google search it seems they might have the same kernel after all, I'd read on xda they were different (there is no Vodafone RUU for me to check).

Upvote 0
Just received my OTA update UK
This update appears to have been pulled (probably temporarily) as an OTA update.

edit: It seems the update is now available again OTA. This guide will still work if you prefer to install manually, or don't get the OTA offer.

This update is for stock froyo release 2.09.405.8 only.

You can apply it manually by following these steps:

• Backup anything you need, in case of problems
  • Download this file and put it on your sdcard
  • Rename the file to 'update.zip' (ensure it is not update.zip.zip)
  • Power down the phone
  • Start the phone in recovery (press vol down and power together, then select recovery)
  • After recovery loads press vol up and power together
  • Select to apply update.zip

If you have debranded your phone you MUST have your goldcard in the phone.

Read that last bit again.

Upvote 0
I've already asked in another thread but feel this thread is probabily best place to ask. The 2.10.405.2 OTA manual update has been a complete disaster for me!

I debranded from O2 fine and when i went to update OTA i thought it updated fine but i am now stuck on the white HTC screen and it doesn't say quietelt brilliant etc to load up! I can access the recovery mode though!

Upvote 0
They have different kernel versions, and of course different customizations. I haven't checked on the apps.

edit: doing a google search it seems they might have the same kernel after all, I'd read on xda they were different (there is no Vodafone RUU for me to check).

Vodafone got SO much stick over their previous update they released a stock Desire ROM (albeit with their vendor code) - their 2.10.161.2 IS a stock ROM...I frequent the Vodafone forum as well and the versions are the same as the generic WWE ROM

As for the next release, I don't know if Vodafone will repeat the situation but for their sake I hope they (and other operators) learn from this and just make their apps available on the Market

Upvote 0
Problems with the update are likely to be due to not using a goldcard (that will certainly cause problems like no wifi). Otherwise try doing a wipe in recovery, or flashing the froyo RUU with your goldcard.

Goldcard is fine because I managed to install WWE_2.09.405.8 with no problems! It even found the update when i checked on the phone and proceded to install the update but now it's frozen on startup screen :mad:

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones