2.2.1 mail asks suspect security settings for exchangeSupport

Last Updated:

1. chudpi

chudpi New Member This Topic's Starter

Howdy,

I use nexus one, otherwise known as a google phone, and just got the 2.2.1 update.
    Upon updating I got a request for a security update for the Email app. It wants to be able to:
    1. Erase all data (perform a factory reset, deleting all of your data without any confirmation)
    2. Limit password (reset the types of passwords you are allowed to use)
    3. Watch login attempts (monitor failed attempts to login to the device, to perform some action)
    4. Force Lock (control when the device locks, requiring you re-enter its password)

Call me paranoid, but this, especially no.1 seems suspect. Why would an email client need this extreme set of privileges? My spidey sense is pinging louder than a gaydar next to a drag queen.

Can anyone confirm if this is a legit update or if I just downloaded a trojan horse of some sort?

Thanks.
    chudpi.

Advertisement
  2. andre

andre Member

These are requirements by the MS Exchange mail server. This way Exchange administrators can wipe the phone in case it gets stolen, etc. It might even require you to enter a password every time you unlock your screen.

I don't know if you also need to grant phone administration privileges if you access standard POP3 or IMAP servers though.

chudpi likes this.
  3. chudpi

chudpi New Member This Topic's Starter

Thanks for the reply. I think I can get at my work mail through IMAP, so you just gave me a way to cater to my paranoia :).
    As far as I can tell from use of my personal email clients, I don't think this level of security setting is required for POP and IMAP.

Thanks again.