• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help 2.2 Battery Manager Force Close

Seems that this only works when it wants to. I guess it wouldn't be verizon if there wasnt at least one thing jacked up on the phone. I've been through 4 x's now, everything from non working camera to non functioning microphone.

When I got my last one via fed ex, the driver kinda laughed and said that verizon, more specifically, verizon replacements, is one of their largest accounts.
I honestly don't think there is ANY quality control. Otherwise, how could they send out a phone with a non working camera (total black screen), and a phone that clearly had a non working microphone...

Obviously, I expected customer service to go downhill as they become more of a monopoly, that's econ.101. But constantly replacing phones just because their quality control sucks has got to be affecting their bottom line.

I know this post kinda goes off on a tangent, and should likely get its own thread.

I'd love to hear about other cases where big v has dropped the ball.

Upvote 0
Do a full cache partition wipe (not just a cache clear of the Battery Manager App).

1. Hold the "home" button while powering on your phone
2. Keep holding "home" until the little android guy comes up with an "!"
3. Hit the search button to bring up the menu
4. Use the up/down volume rocker keys to navigate the menu. Go to wipe cache partition
5. Use the camera button to select
6. Once that completes, reboot the phone through the menu option

Upvote 0
I never had this issue until today, and that was after I rooted my phone. :(

I'm not rooted at the moment and I have the same problem. I've tried doing a full cache partition wipe, I cleared the cache under the Battery Manager App and have done factory resets. It works for a little while but it always seems to come back but then it works again after a couple of tries. Weird.

Seems that this only works when it wants to. I guess it wouldn't be verizon if there wasnt at least one thing jacked up on the phone. I've been through 4 x's now, everything from non working camera to non functioning microphone.

When I got my last one via fed ex, the driver kinda laughed and said that verizon, more specifically, verizon replacements, is one of their largest accounts.
I honestly don't think there is ANY quality control. Otherwise, how could they send out a phone with a non working camera (total black screen), and a phone that clearly had a non working microphone...

Obviously, I expected customer service to go downhill as they become more of a monopoly, that's econ.101. But constantly replacing phones just because their quality control sucks has got to be affecting their bottom line.

I know this post kinda goes off on a tangent, and should likely get its own thread.

I'd love to hear about other cases where big v has dropped the ball.

Tell me about it. I've been through 3 or 4 phones already.. Some had the earpiece buzz, some had dead pixels and another had bad audio in my recorded videos. Plus, on top of that, Verizon sent me an Incredible by accident and 2 refurbs when they promised that they would be brand new. Im actually waiting for the fedex truck now hoping to finally get a perfect condition X.

Maybe if they actually put enough bubble wrap in those Fedex boxes I wouldnt be having those problems. Their shipping department sucks.

Oh well.. The X is the only phone I want at the moment, so it is what it is, I guess.

Upvote 0
I did a full cache partition wipe yesterday and am still having this problem with the Battery Manager. :(

Hmm... It seemed to have solved my force close issue, although I'm sure it could come back at any time based on what you guys are seeing.

I also had issues with the camcorder app not working and just going back to the home screen. This was also fixed after a full cache partition wipe...

Upvote 0
Well I've read all this stuff about people plugging it in, unplugging etc and that it happens when the phone has been unplugged. At first I thought they just meant plugging the phone into a pc for charging etc, but apparently its happening with wall charging too.

I still wonder if its something with the pc plug in. I never had a fc with the battery manager until I rooted, and THAT was the first time this phone was ever plugged into a pc.

Upvote 0
Well I've read all this stuff about people plugging it in, unplugging etc and that it happens when the phone has been unplugged. At first I thought they just meant plugging the phone into a pc for charging etc, but apparently its happening with wall charging too.

I still wonder if its something with the pc plug in. I never had a fc with the battery manager until I rooted, and THAT was the first time this phone was ever plugged into a pc.

You know, come to think of it...mine only force closes after I've had it plugged into the pc. Reboot, it corrects it's self, and stays corrected until I plug it into a puter again.
Wall charging does not cause the FC for me.

Upvote 0
You know, come to think of it...mine only force closes after I've had it plugged into the pc. Reboot, it corrects it's self, and stays corrected until I plug it into a puter again.
Wall charging does not cause the FC for me.

Are you rooted?

I'm rooted now, but I've not been able to get into my battery manager all day today. Just charged via the wall charger last night.

Upvote 0
For the last 2 days battery manager has not been working, here's a screenshot of what it says when I attempt to open it, any ideas how to fix it? And yes, I have done about 3 reboots
CAP201010011544.jpg

Upvote 0
Rebooting usually works for me. I've found no other way to clear up this issue. Very very annoying for sure. More annoying is the fact that the time unplugged is reset upon reboot making any chance at calculating average battery time a guessing game.

Rebooting doesn't work for me, I tried once yesterday and twice today. the best part is that they disabled task killers, now we have no way to control those pesky apps

Upvote 0
I did a COMPLETE wipe of my phone, SD card, EVERYTHING. I turned off auto backup and restore and rebuilt my apps and such from scratch without Launcher Pro (I'm waiting until he re-writes it) or any 3rd party widgets except Weatherbug. I'm still 100% stock blur... I still get the battery details force close when I have recently unplugged. I'm assuming at this point it is a bug because I only need a few minutes of usage and the FC won't happen ever again until I try it RIGHT AFTER I unplug it...

Upvote 0
I too have a DroidX with the battery manager usage details force closing very frequently, however it seems to do it without any rhyme or reason. I have tried all the possible solutions and work arounds posted here except the factory reset and have had no luck. Once in a while the usage statistics works, but most of the time it doesn't and I have yet to see any permanent fix. I hope Verizon/Motorola are working on a fix for this. I must add that this glitch has NOTHING to do with rooting, as my DroidX has this problem and has never been rooted. I wish Verizon spent more time working out bugs instead of dumping more useless subscription-required bloatware on my phone (like VZ Navigator).

Edit: When I clear the cache partition the battery manager usage statistics does not crash for a while. But within a few hours it goes right back to force closing. Still waiting for a more permanent fix. But getting frustrated that such a glaring issue experienced by many people was missed during the development of the update.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones