2.2 blows.... they ruined the phone

Last Updated:

1. Trauma

Trauma Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

This phone was amazing with 2.1.

Ever since updating to 2.2, my phone constantly freezes where i need to pull the battery

I have no HDMI sound output only video with no audio.

My phone speaker shuts off and i cannot hear ringing/talking when making and recieving calls unless i restart the phone.

This thing is garbage now.

Advertisement
  2. Trooper

Trooper Well-Known Member

Have you tried a factory reset?

3. Anemone

Anemone Active Member

I've never had to reboot my phone. My phone is actually faster with 2.2.

but I agree with the abov. Factory reset seems to help a lot of people

4. eraursls1984

eraursls1984 Well-Known Member

I had only 1 freezing in 4 weeks on 2.1. I've had about 10-15 since OTA 2.2, 3 within an hour Saturday while I was trying to navigate and show it off. It also lags bad now to, although not everyone has these problems they should let those of us who do roll back.

5. eraursls1984

I would definitely try a factory reset, but it doesn't work for everyone.

6. tom108

tom108 Well-Known Member

Froyo is the best thing to happen to any android device.

7. WTF

WTF Well-Known Member

+1

Only issue I've had has been the Batt Mgr FC a few times, which isn't anything major for me. What I have seen is smoother transitions between screens and apps, fatster webpage loading and a MAJOR increase in battery endurance - all very welcome improvements to my DX.

8. yisagirl1

yisagirl1 Member

I think my phone might be ruined.

9. sean76

sean76 Well-Known Member

2.2 ruined my EVO...now the x. Not a good sign

10. xliderider

xliderider Well-Known Member

A bad file/filesystem on the memory card can make your Android experience pretty much as you describe. Try putting another memory card in the device, if you have one, or just take the one you have out and reboot the phone. If the device works better without the lag and freezing, then you need to backup the contents of your original memory card and then format it in the phone. Then move your files and folders back to the card starting with the essential stuff and leaving the non-essential stuff for later. Most of the time, it is a corrupted filesystem, so the reformatting takes care of your problem. Test your phone and move your files back in small groups and keep testing till you have restored all the files you need/want, or you have located the bad file.

If it's not the memory card, I suggest you do a Factory Data Reset in Menu, Settings, Privacy. It will be a pain to setup your phone how you like it following the reset, but if there was a software conflict causing your problems, the reset will return your device to out of the box factory condition and give you a fresh start.

Lightninrod and ifly61ce like this.
  11. daviddcmd

daviddcmd Well-Known Member

I agree with the OP, my phone under 2.2 lags and is completely unstable, when it wasn't before under LPP. I have tried a factory reset to no avail. FROYO has ruined a great phone. My daughter's Incredible works great under 2.2. WTF.

12. eraursls1984

MOTO hindered a great phone, its because of their bs not froyo just what they did to froyo

13. daviddcmd

Can you elaborate?

14. xliderider

Have you ruled out a corrupted file/filesystem on your memory card as outlined in my post above?

Froyo was totally unable to run and would lag and freeze on my Droid 1. After formatting my memory card, it ran froyo roms without any problems whatsoever.

15. daviddcmd

Just tested it was another card based on what I read above, same result.

16. xliderider

You will probably have to start looking for an incompatible app then.

17. tom108

tom108 Well-Known Member

i agree. its not froyo. its either the phone or an app that has issues. i have run every flavor or froyo out there and all have run with no problems.

18. NOLAaustin

NOLAaustin Member

I've had no issues with Froyo except I've noticed my browser is a little slower to open when I touch the icon for it. Sometimes it'll open right away and sometimes it'll take 5 seconds and then blink. The scroll on the browser seems to be slower as well. That is my only noticeable complaint.

19. eraursls1984

Not necessarily, I did a factory reset and formatted my SD card installed LPP and widget locker only and was having those problems without a corrupted file or app

20. mhrc4

mhrc4 Well-Known Member

factory reset helped my phone greatly. Using LPP and Widget Locker, only occasional problems I have are when I accidentally launch voice command. Other than that, factory reset helped WONDERS.

21. mntbighker

mntbighker Well-Known Member

I have what I think should be a REALLY obvious question but I NEVER seem to see anyone mention it. When people have issues is anyone advising them to keep an eye on the logs? Does anyone know for example if obvious things appear in the logs if you have a bad file system on the SD card? When I look at the logs I see all sorts of various things appearing. Some seem like they are obvious and easily ignored but others not so much. And if you use the right app to view the logs they are even color coded. My DX post Froyo has been overall less useful. It hangs and lags and sometimes a reboot or cache purge will help. But I never had those issues on 2.1. I imagine it could be an app I use that isn't great with Froyo? But I'm too impatient to run the phone TOTALLY stock for a while to see what improves. ;-)

22. dvschnk

dvschnk Member

23. decks19

decks19 Active Member

One thing that i found dumb that they removed. Is that i cant silent the phone with the volume rocker anymore. It goes into vibrate, but not into silent mode.

24. Jim Dawson

Jim Dawson Well-Known Member

My phone works just fine with 2.2 but they really screwed up the keyboard and Swype. No logic at all in changing those two things. Same with the volume control adjustment. Absolutely no reason to break things that were working fine.

Obviously the developers are not and have never been Droid X users or they would have left well enough alone.

25. Outlaw71

Outlaw71 Well-Known Member

Does anyone here know the difference between ignorance and stupidity? Ignorance is the absence of knowledge. Stupidity is refusing to accept it. Blaming lagging issues on the 2.2 update is like taking your car in to get painted, and when you get it back and it starts running like crap blaming it on the new paint job, when in fact one of your plugs fouled out while driving out of the parking lot.

Now I'm not doubting that anyone has truely experienced problems since doing the 2.2 OTA update, but just what exactly do you think Google went out and did to deliberately hijack your phone? If you honestly don't think Google knows their ass from a hole in the ground then please free to pick up a Windows Mobil or iPhone and live in sweet mobile phone bliss.

The froyo update is just a slight refinement of their already outstanding OS, not a complete overhaul. That's not to say there aren't any bugs in it, there have been bugs in every one of their OS's so far, why would this one be any different? But overall nothing should be acting completely different from when eclair was in charge. If it is then something else has gone wrong in your phone. And if that's the case then do some research into what issue's people have been having with their phones and what they did to resolve those issues. Knowledge is power, and for every problem there is a solution.

But jumping on here and posting that 2.2 is the root of your freeze up's and crashes... well to be honest, that just makes you look like the guy running around telling everyone not to paint their car blue because once he did his car started running like crap!

northernmoris, Mays24, mxsjw and 2 others like this.