• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

2.2 blows.... they ruined the phone

I'm not a developer, just an end-user - but this phone has worked great for me "out-of-the-box". I feel like a kid on Christmas morning, i.e. what else can I do with this?...let's find out!

Not that everything has worked exactly as I thought or wanted, but I've been able to figure out how to do pretty much everything my previous phone did, plus a lot more, on a bigger screen, more quickly, with better coverage, for a smaller monthly bill. OTA to 2.2 did nothing but improve speed, smoothness and battery life (quite a bit!). If I do have any gripes it would be the Batt Mgr FC - but this is such a minor thing to me its hardly worth mentioning...

I feel bad for those who have had problems with their DX, but Verizon CS is willing to do everything they can to help - this is one reason I've stayed with them for 8 years now. They've certainly helped me in the past when I had issues with various Palm smartphones. Its also great to be able to search this and other forums to find answers to issues when they arise - many thanks to those who have had positive contributions to these forums (and you know who you are!:D).

Upvote 0
Ok, I'm going to give it a try. I think I used this once and uninstalled it for some reason. Maybe I thought it was a task killer (which I didn't want).

When you install it I would suggest setting it to 'aggressive'. That's what I did and have not had any issue's with FC's ever since. You can set it higher if you wish, but I don't think it's necessary.

And no I certainly didn't mean to insinuate that Android devices don't 'just work', just that I feel it's much more suited for people who like to tinker, customize and use their brain a little more than it is a phone that you don't have to spend a single second thinking about. If that's what you're after, Blackberries are tremendously user friendly out of the box and NEVER crash. But you can't do nearly as much with them either.

Different strokes for different folks.

Upvote 0
Blackberries are tremendously user friendly out of the box and NEVER crash.
I guess you never heard of the BB Storm? I had it crash or freeze atleast 5 times a day (i know you probably think that's an exaggeration but its not)
My fiancee's curve has only froze a couple of times in a year but she hardly uses it for anything but texting and Facebook.

Reactions: northernmoris
Upvote 0
Oh well shit I forgot about the Storm. Yeah I don't know what they were thinking when they released that phone, but it was a complete POS. I took one to Italy because it was a world phone (not that I ever made any calls on it though), and by the second day I wanted to throw it into the ****ing Adriatic ocean I got so frusterated by it. The keyboard sucked, there was nothing close to an electronic dpad built into it at all, so skipping around while writing out an email was MADDENING!!!

A good friend of mine had a baby while I was over there, I saw it on his Facebook status and tried to write him a conratulations message on his wall. It was just a short little thing, maybe 3 or 4 sentences long, but it took me like 45 minutes to type out with all the missed letters, trying to find all the punctuation symbols and everything (I will say that I was brand new to the phone, so that problem would have been resolved in time), and just generally fumbling around on that terrible keyboard... so anyways after nearly an hour working on my short congratulatory speach I tried to send it but hit the wrong button. The whole thing disappeared and I couldn't bring it back up again.

Oh my God I came so close to destroying that thing right then and there, I turned it off and never touched it again. Got back to the States and appologized to my friend for not sending him anything but explained to him what had happened. That was a truely horrible phone! But the other 3 Blackberries I had were rock solid phones that went forever on a charge and on which I don't ever recall experiencing any sort of freeze up, locking, crashing, or any of those kinds of things on.

So as far as say my 12 year old daughter or just about any woman I know (not very many women I've ever met have been all that much into technical stuff, most of them seem to prefer phones that 'just work' period) I would most definately recommend a Blackberry (except for the Storm/Storm2) to use. I will never go back to one now that I've fallen for Android, but I still have a lot of respect for their product.

Like I said, different strokes for different folks.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the tip. Between this, freezing all the bloatware on my phone, setting Autokiller to 'aggressive', and doing the factory reset/SD card format I have seen a HUGE improvement in the utilization speed of my phone. The only lag I experience at this point is the unlock screen upon wake up, but I attribute that to having it underclocked while sleeping, and then taking a few seconds to get back up to speed once I wake it up.

But if I have to live with a slight lag in the unlock screen to conserve battery, then what the hell, no skin off my back. Everything else runs smooth as silk!

You can try WidgetLocker to alleviate the unlock lag, it worked for me, plus you can add shortcuts and widgets to your lockscreen :D

Upvote 0
i got my card unmounted finally after a reboot. Formatted the card, snd put one album on it. Didn't change anything and the music player still locks up my phone causing me to pull the battery.

I think the music player app at least on my phone got messed up during the update. Motorola should be on this but they arent :(

Upvote 0
I've done every possible fix i've come across since 2.2 launched and i still have issues i didn't have with 2.1. The thing that bothers me most, is getting disconnected during a call if i receive a text or email. I can actually handle rebooting the phone the other 5 times a day because i'm listening to music and god forbid someone call or text me. But dropping calls due to text and email is beyond annoying.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones