2.2 crazy battery life: 40% after 3 days 7hrs

Last Updated:

1. trale

trale Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I've noticed a significant boost in battery life ever since the OTA 2.2 update, but I didn't anticipate this much. I purposely neglected charging my phone for the last few days, and here's where I stand:

[​IMG]

That's 40% after 78+ hrs. Sure I didn't use the phone heavily, but it's not I turned off everything either. And the phone was on the entire 78 hrs (didn't cheat by shutting it off at night). I basically did a little of everything throughout - browsing, calling, texting (mostly), and even navigation and maps!

It's like my DX thinks it's running on an extended battery!

Advertisement
  2. EKG

EKG Well-Known Member

That's crazy man. My battery life has been the exact same since upgrading to 2.2! Which is still good, but dang...you got epicness there.

3. John_Roger

John_Roger Well-Known Member

I am nowhere near there yet, although i have to do a clean wipe and start fresh.

4. colchiro

colchiro Well-Known Member

I got over 3-1/2 days (about 15%) on 2.1 before I decided to charge it. Of course that was light use, couple short calls a day, check for updates, delete email. People made fun of me for not using the phone. (Why did you buy it then?)

Then I installed the wrong app or changed a setting somewhere when I installed my extended battery and battery life was much worse. OTA didn't help any. It's better now after resetting my phone.

5. jasondhsd

jasondhsd Well-Known Member

Yeah that's great battery life but it doesn't mean anything unless we can have some perspective. What was the total length of phone calls you made, how long was the screen on for, is background data enabled, how many email accounts/social networking/etc are syncing (push or pull), what battery mode are you running (the one that turns off data after 30mins?) etc.

6. lexluthor

lexluthor Well-Known Member

+1

I'd be curious in seeing this data as well. It's got to be very little usage.

7. john_ecko

john_ecko Well-Known Member

Crazy stuff. I'm also interested to know what battery mode you're using.

8. kwaping

kwaping Well-Known Member

What was the percentage of usage for Display? Mine's always at the top of the list.

9. bigbadwulff

bigbadwulff Well-Known Member

Obviously the phone was used very little. Look at the 'phone idle' and 'standby' percentages.
    Not saying that is a bad thing, but it's obvious the phone just wasn't used. Good to see you can leave it on and have battery left after days.

10. tcallahan

tcallahan Well-Known Member

yea looks like not to much going on at that X.. shame. lol jk. but in all seriousness i have data on at all times etc and a few email accounts twitter etc... and i have been getting better life since 2.2 not like that but definitely better.

11. Dabitz

Dabitz Well-Known Member

I read a few threads here and took the advice to unistall the advanced task killer application and use the manage appl instead that is part of Froyo. My battery life is way better now. Wow...

12. trale

trale Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Yeah I already stated it was light usage (not my norm). I was being more cautious than usual because I wanted to "push" this test.

Phone calls were few, and around a minute each. Most of the drain came from texts (which of course requires screen being on)

Background data is on.
    Wifi is off (this might have helped)
    GPS is on (drain only happens when I loaded an app that uses GPS though)

1 gmail account and 1 facebook account. Manual updates only (disabled synching).

Battery mode = night time saver.

If nothing else, it proves that the DX is capable of running for days if you "baby" the battery life, which could be useful in a pinch (i.e. camping, with no ability to charge for days). And as noted, this is MUCH improved over 2.1 under similar conditions, on my phone at least.

13. nj02vette

nj02vette Well-Known Member

3rd down, 12%
    Phone was 43% standby.

My display usage is something in the 50-60% range. Doesn't bother me, as long as it gets through an entire day, that's all I need. Getting somewhere (heavily depending on usage) from 18-20hrs.

14. jasondhsd

jasondhsd Well-Known Member

Hmm ok that makes sense. Especially that you have syncing disabled on facebook and gmail. I bet that helps the most in terms of saving battery, its almost like having background sync turned off in a way.

15. SgtBaxter

SgtBaxter Well-Known Member

I've been running for 12 hours so far today, battery is at 80%.

At this time in the day on 2.1 with similar usage, it'd be at ~60%.

16. SgtBaxter

SgtBaxter Well-Known Member

Well, I just hit 50% after 26 hours. This is with email, just a few texts some FB, and updated about a dozen apps but I didn't make any voice calls. Not too shabby.

17. spb21

spb21 Well-Known Member

I have seen similar improvement since 2.2 update with cache wipe and battery pull. Yesterday I had average usage and was at 60% after 15 hours. Prior to update I would be 20% or less after about 9 hours if I didn't charge during the day.

18. TminusTech

TminusTech Active Member

Whats the name of that application?

19. Fabolous

Fabolous Superuser VIP Member

That's the built in battery manager.

Settings, battery manager, hit the battery.

20. ekyle

ekyle Well-Known Member

I am seeing better battery, but I also have an extended battery so my stats don't count. All I know is that my display usage is ALWAYS way higher.

21. Outlaw71

Outlaw71 Well-Known Member

Crazy battery life? Looks like it took a 3 and a half day nap to me. Hey what ever floats your boat my man, if experiments such as this is what you get your kicks out of then more power to you. But personally, the only thing that really impresses me is your ability to keep your hands off of this kick ass phone for the better part of 4 days!!! Anytime I've ever checked this data on my DX, 'Display' is always at the top, and usually accounts for a good 70 - 80% of my usage. It just does way too much cool stuff to let it sleep the day away.

Oh and if I were to go camping... I'd bring my car charger!

Lol, just bustin your balls a little buddy ;)

22. colchiro

Even with my extended battery, OTA update, and the same light use, I'm at 20% after 75 hours, about the same as the original battery. This is a LOT better after a reset.

I'm not seeing any improvement with my extended battery, but the problem is probably something I've installed. I think I'll try the original battery tomorrow, charge it up, and see how that performs.

23. igotgame

igotgame Well-Known Member

Yea I am noticing great battery life as well...and it's while using my phone to talk, text, web browse, etc..and not just sitting it idle.

One thing I did notice..Battery Life got better once I uninstalled Launcher Pro. I am back to stock launcher for now.

This is WITH Background Data on as well and display set to Auto.

[​IMG]

24. colchiro

I have:

phone idle: 18%
    Android System 16%
    Cell standby 14%
    Wi-Fi: 12%
    Android OS: 10%
    Voice Calls 10%

Android System and OS in the top 6 looks like a problem to me. I just dropped to 15% while typing this. Not sure if I can make it to morning.

25. 10splaya22

10splaya22 Well-Known Member

well obviously your battery will last that long if you don't use it. Mine can usually last 24 hours with normal usage but using it a lot its around 18 hours and 30% left