2.2 fails to install

Last Updated:

1. kushineris

kushineris Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Did a factory reset. Unrooted did not remove Ny bloatware juat rooted to use wifi tether. Now the ota update keeps failing. What is going on?

Advertisement
  2. Arehexes

Arehexes Well-Known Member

I rooted my phone a while back with Universal Androot, and just unrooted it(with Androot) but now when I try to update it it says the update failed.

3. kushineris

I used the same thing to root.vi don't understand though it shouldn't affect it. I hope I'm not screwed. When I go into recovery it days signature failed. Anyone have any clue why this is happening?

4. VDubBugMan53

VDubBugMan53 Well-Known Member

bird man will be posting a download of one soon that you can install manually

5. wmjchoi

wmjchoi Member

did you guys install Droid X Recovery Bootstrap?

6. Arehexes

Yes is that the problem

7. mykd99

mykd99 Well-Known Member

Same... waiting for Birdman to release the rooted version.

8. Pointguard1122

Pointguard1122 Well-Known Member

[​IMG] _mrbirdman_
    If you guys hold off on the 2.2 OTA, ill have a pre-rooted .zip to install (will work no matter what version your on :) )

*My favorite tweet*

9. Arehexes

what did the droid x recover bootstrap have anything to do with it failing to install the update/

10. philipwelch4

philipwelch4 Member

How do you properly remove the Droid X Bootstrapper?

11. mazz0310

mazz0310 Well-Known Member

There is a way, but the safest bet is to do an SBF.

12. philipwelch4

philipwelch4 Member

13. kk4df

kk4df Well-Known Member

14. Arehexes

Will birdmans version be a clean 2.2 root, I was hoping it is so we can just make a backup rom of it before the boot strapper program >_>.

15. mykd99

mykd99 Well-Known Member

Not so sure birdman is coming out with that update. Look at his twitter posts...

@wicked_beav my "fix" wont work sadly, i was running tests to see if my idea would work when i figured out the signatures changed :(

looking at the conversation between @_mrbirdman_ and @wicked_beav it doesn't look good.

16. tcallahan

tcallahan Well-Known Member

ok so same thing happening to me! Getting a litter nervous. All i did while rooted was try and use wifi teth, add nex theme. Thats it. I did load up bootsrapper tho! so has anyone yet to follow these instructions and see if truly removing bootstrapper works? I would try but im about to walk out the door for work.

Will be subscribed to this thread... if anyone makes any progress definitely post! because it looks like birdmans methos is not going to work.

17. Piiman

Piiman Well-Known Member

Why do you people want to be Moto's bitches? They are screwing with the Mod community and f'ing user in the process. The OTA is not some super special better update than the latest leak other than it will prevent you from ever going back to 2.1 or gaining access to the boot loader. Not only will I never use one of their OTA updates I will NEVER buy another Moto phone.

18. Piiman

Piiman Well-Known Member

He was working on a fix for people that got bricked flashing the 2.1 SBF when he discovered Moto changed all the keys and signatures. Thanks Moto VZW will have lots of pissed off people in their stores today. I'm sure they are going to love you for it.

He may still do an update but it will not have the new patched boot loader

19. RobertTheGenius

RobertTheGenius Member

Im not sure why I cant install 2.2. I rooted my phone a while ago to remove some bloatware (blockbuster, city id, ect) and installed some rooted apps (tether, drocap).

I reinstalled the deleted apps using this method
    http://androidforums.com/droid-x-al...w-reinstall-system-apps-_as_-system-apps.html

and the apps reappreared on my phone, I then unroot. Now when I go to install 2.2 it downloads and when it starts installing it stalls and then my phone automatically reboots with no changes.

Someone help please.

Quick question, do I have to uninstall all my root apps, easy root, tether, ect?

20. SaurusX

SaurusX Well-Known Member

I'm beginning to feel similarly. I'm on the leaked 2.3.9 build and that's where I'll stay until people smarter than I work things out. Motorola is being unnecessarily hostile to the mod community with absolutely no benefit to them. The ablility to load ROMs and remove bloat harms them in no way. Root's already out of the bag again, so if they were hoping to stop tethering, then they've already FAILED. This jihad against modders serves no purpose, but at least we know why the update took so long... they were implementing draconian "security" fixes.

21. wmjchoi

wmjchoi Member

I rooted my phone 2.1. I never updated my phone to the leak 2.2 update. All i did was the Droid X recovery bootstrap.

I tried to update my phone to 2.2 yesterday but my phone boots into Clockwork Mod Recovery every time i power off and turn it back on.

So i did SBF Flash but my phone still boots into Clockwork Mod Recovery when i turn the phone off and on again.

Can anyone help me?

22. Arehexes

Oh jeez, i was going to do the SBF flash, this doesn't make me happy

23. kushineris

well its official, my phone is a brick. Never came close to happening on my eris. Then it bricks cus of the update. F moto. I just got back from the vzw store and i will have a new x in 2 days. They were trying to use the rsd in the store and it did nothing.

24. Arehexes

God that sucks, I don't know why they make it so we can't toy with our open source phones like this.

25. wmjchoi

wmjchoi Member

I found out that i can use Root Explorer to get rid of the recovery. They told me to erase hijack file, logwrapper file and rename logwrapper.bin to logwrapper

but when i try to do this, my phone tells me that those are read only files and I cant delete them...what the heck..

what do i do...?